No announcement yet.

Microsoft Rolls Out A Preview Of The New Skype For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with the Skype app is that it doesn't work on AMD Athlon/Phenom II systems (see also comments on Arch Linux AUR package https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/skypeforlinux-bin/). The app does have desktop sharing (on a working Intel system), but the web version doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
      Indeed, where are PowerPC, ARM, and ARM64 versions?
      You mean Skype for Android?

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
        Skype for Business on Linux I would much prefer so I can integrate my work and still use a hosted PBX.
        I used the instructions provided here https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...linux/dac7vyl/ and got Pidgin running with the so called Skype for Business on Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
          Skype for Business on Linux I would much prefer so I can integrate my work and still use a hosted PBX.
          Skype for business is being deprecated and will be replaced by Microsoft Teams.

Comment

Microsoft, I still remember what Skype was before you got your bloody hands on it. And I'm still bitter.

I've been using Discord lately; their Linux client rather impressed me. Sure, it's basically a cleverly wrapped web app, but you think their Windows client isn't? And it's not a bad paradigm in the first place -- look at Github's Atom.

Comment

Originally posted by roothorick View Post
              Microsoft, I still remember what Skype was before you got your bloody hands on it. And I'm still bitter.
              A client that was ancient and slowly breaking down, and that had many years between updates even when they did? Skype for Linux was terrible in the Pre-Microsoft Buyout world.

Originally posted by roothorick View Post
              I've been using Discord lately; their Linux client rather impressed me. Sure, it's basically a cleverly wrapped web app, but you think their Windows client isn't? And it's not a bad paradigm in the first place -- look at Github's Atom.
              On the contrary web apps wrapped as desktop apps is a horrid paradigm, unfortunately it's the "hot" thing right now so we've got to tolerate it's crappiness.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: Microsoft Rolls Out A Preview Of The New Skype For Linux

Adding to the list of Microsoft's Linux actions in 2017 comes a new preview version of the "next-generation" Skype for Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...NG-Skype-Linux
                Skype is becoming social media soon and only true serverless IM is Tox now and is not based on bloated software structure like most of IM apps that are basically browsers turned into so called app. Currently in development

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                  On the contrary web apps wrapped as desktop apps is a horrid paradigm, unfortunately it's the "hot" thing right now so we've got to tolerate it's crappiness.
                  I guess you won't be complaining though if somebody gonna add the voice/video calls to its pidgin plugin, thus, basically, making it a FOSS skype https://github.com/EionRobb/skype4pi...aster/skypeweb

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                    Indeed, where are PowerPC, ARM, and ARM64 versions?
                    I'm very unhappy that it's not available for MIPS, man, I mean my router wanted to skype me and now he can't!

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
                      Crazy conspiracy theorists, there's no evidence Microsoft sold us out to the NSA.

Sleeper cells are plotting in caves on the other side the planet though... probably with Internet trolls sent by Putin. LOL
                      MS cannot say no to warrants issued by judges, just like any other company not using end-to-end encryption, and this is well-known since forever.

Well done NSA guy, it's nearly believable bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                      X