Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shimon View Post
    x86_64-only I presume?
    Indeed, where are PowerPC, ARM, and ARM64 versions?

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
      Infuriating redirect on that Skype blog link sends me directly to the Microsoft French Canadian homepage, I'm in Ontario!

Update: Looks like it's redirecting to the homepage from everywhere though.
      Same here. I guess Michael is the exclusive person allowed to see the blog post :Ь

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        That's what I meant by "it seems like this is basically just that except stored locally" except I did a terrible job implying that.

Though personally, I don't mind the contact list being always visible and on the side. People don't like reading really wide rows of text, and that helps reduce the width. But otherwise, web.skype.com does waste a lot of space in other ways, and things like grouping and bookmarking would be nice.
        Oh, I don't mind the placing either (I didn't even notice it). What I don't like is that where I could easily fit 20 contact, I can now only fit about half of that. And that it doesn't seem to know about groups, which if I can't collapse, I can't effectively use that list (I have to type and that is slow compared to collapse+click).

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
          Infuriating redirect on that Skype blog link sends me directly to the Microsoft French Canadian homepage, I'm in Ontario!

Update: Looks like it's redirecting to the homepage from everywhere though.
          Same here, wtf!?

Comment

This is huge!
            Government institutions across the planet rely on Skype, I myself have been bound to Windows for forever because of E-seminars and whatnot, all almost by law performed in Skype.
            This can be huge for me.
            "... thank God almighty, free at last!!"

Comment

Guys, if anyone already installed this crap, could you please check if MS already added support of Ctrl+F? Thanks.

Comment

At this point I don't really understand why anyone (other than businesses) installs Skype anymore, even on Windows. web.skype.com is clean, fast, and intuitive, and from what I can tell it seems like this is basically just that except stored locally.
                It adds a tray icon.

On the other hand, the nice thing is that if it gets updated, it means the web version got updated too, which is cool.

Comment

I stopped installing Skype after I switched to a 64 bit linux installation, because it was a 32 bit app which requires huge numbers of 32 bit support packages which simply bloated up my system. web.skype.com works well enough for my needs.

Comment

At this point I don't really understand why anyone (other than businesses) installs Skype anymore, even on Windows. web.skype.com is clean, fast, and intuitive, and from what I can tell it seems like this is basically just that except stored locally.
                    Last time I checked video calling didn't work on Firefox/Chromium using web.skype.com.

With Firefox: I couldn't even click on video call, unless I changed the user agent, and when I changed the user agent and made a video call, the session would never establish and it would just disconnect.

With Chromium: the audio worked but I would get a black screen for the video.

These days I just install Skype through flatpak and it's much easier, but I wish I didn't had to use the piece of shit that is Skype.

Fucking Microsoft and their bullshit.
                    Last edited by ihatemichael; 30 September 2017, 01:31 AM.

Comment

I find the desktop app tons more convenient to use:
                      * tray icon to quickly set my status
                      * one click launch from the launcher
                      * clearly visible when I have received messages
                      * don't have to keep a browser/tab open or search for its tab in a browser window
                      * etc

Comment

Working...
                      X