No announcement yet.

Benchmarks Show Firefox 57 Quantum Doing Well, But Chrome Largely Winning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To me, Firefox 57 is just an appetizer. The main course is Firefox 59 (When Quantum Render is due)

Comment

I just spent most of the afternoon on Firefox 55, and now I'm on 57.03 beta again. Holy smokes this is fast. I've NEVER seen Chrome anywhere near this fast. I don't think those benchmark tests are an accurate portrayal of real-world use at all.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post
        Actually, Firefox will support propet gtk headerbar (unlike Chromium/Chrome), few months ago experimental patch was pushed, and you could compile it, it wasn't that impressive and had quite a bit of bugs, but those bugs are known and will be fixed (if they arrent already), so yeah, Firefox will follow/respect gtk theme buttons as far as I know. So no, it will not look exactly the same, and no they do not promote anything, they just need to implement that and move with time (as they do).
        Well, I simply looked at the screenshot in the bugzilla bug about implementing it: https://bug1283299.bmoattachments.or...cgi?id=8901232

Yes, unlike Chrome this actually follows the GTK theme. But aside from the min/max/close buttons, it does look the same as with SSD. Whereas Gnome applications with headerbars look quite different. The keyword being "rich" headerbar (aka, stuff a bunch of buttons up there, instead of having them in a classic toolbar), something Firefox definitely will not have. It's a case of Firefox, even in SSD mode, not looking like a classic application anyway (it can though, if you enable the menu bar).
        Last edited by Gusar; 29 September 2017, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Gusar Oh i see, well, headerbar is still work in progress, buttons and stuff isn't really needed, but I see your point, that is relatively easy to move (I think?) after main problems are solved.

andyprough I should check Nightly built, will do asap , but trust me, those benchmarks do represent performance (not neccessarily browsing experience tho), often, on my hardware while doing some benchmarks, Firefox would wait for so long to load next that 10s(?) warning would come up saying "The web page is slowing down your browser", now how accurate that is and how benchmarks are made, I have no clue.

Comment

Michael Did you check, if the servo CSS engine is really enabled?

Comment

be interesting to see if Firefox57 still Freezes an Crashes in Google Hangouts when released

Comment

doesnt surprise me that Chrome still is far better out of the 2

Comment

its gonna take a fair time for Firefox to improve , whether it gets as good as Chrome i have my doubts bout that

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post
                    I should check Nightly built, will do asap , but trust me, those benchmarks do represent performance (not neccessarily browsing experience tho), often, on my hardware while doing some benchmarks, Firefox would wait for so long to load next that 10s(?) warning would come up saying "The web page is slowing down your browser", now how accurate that is and how benchmarks are made, I have no clue.
                    Well, it's just ripping through web pages now. Not taking 1 second, much less 10.

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                    be interesting to see if Firefox57 still Freezes an Crashes in Google Hangouts when released
                    Hangouts is working.

Comment

Here's the question more that of which browser is good enough or if both are, after that privacy, open-sourceness etc. plays a factor

Comment

Working...
                      X