No announcement yet.

Benchmarks Show Firefox 57 Quantum Doing Well, But Chrome Largely Winning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also requires will be abiltiy to disable the increased Pocket integration, though blocking getpocket.com in /etc/hosts should be enough to block "recommeded content" from Pocket no matter what Mozilla does.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
      Also requires will be abiltiy to disable the increased Pocket integration, though blocking getpocket.com in /etc/hosts should be enough to block "recommeded content" from Pocket no matter what Mozilla does.
      about:config

Code:
      extensions.pocket.enabled = false

Comment

I am using Foxy Gestures as a replacement for Firegestures. Doesn't work on internal pages (about:config, addons, etc), other than that, works well.

Download Foxy Gestures for Firefox. Mouse gestures for Firefox. A web extension alternative to FireGestures created by a long time FireGestures user.

Comment

why chrome 60? when 61 is already out, why not testing chrome beta too?

Comment

FF 56 is released and is not an ESR version! NoScript will release soon 5.1.x as the last hybrid version for Firefox and get only Bugfixes until end of June 2018( because of ESR52). Shortly before FF57, the pure Webextension is planned for public release.

Comment

Originally posted by Darakus View Post

I hope this is not the case. I have a feeling the extension developers will eventually release updated ad blockers.
              Don't listen to people that don't know what they are talking about. I've been using Firefox 57 for many weeks (Nightly and then Beta), ublock Origin has been working all long beautifully. Dozens of extensions are being ported every week (I've followed this myself), and important ones are transitioning. Yes, some functionality overall might be lost (at least for now), due to restricting the API for very good reasons.

One example of one extension missing yet is NoScript, which I love. But I know it's in the works. So, my advice is: patience.

When you hear everywhere people shouting "OMG, PANIC!!!", it's not a sane advice.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                Firefox 57 is the death of the most powerful adblockers, they have to be rewritten and will be a lot more restricted in what they can do. Happy day for Michael. Sad day for Mozilla, as they'll lose a shitton of users because of this.
                Except for the fact that pretty much all major adblockers support 57+ already.

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
                  The problem is that you're testing it on websites. Chrome will work a lot better if you're just using it for JS benchmarks.
                  Yep. Mozilla are claiming big memory savings over both previous Firefox versions, and compared to Chrome. But I'm guessing that those are the kind of results that show up in tests like "spend a few hours browsing Facebook", rather than in artificial number-crunching benchmarks...

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
                    There is also U2F Support Add-on, which will not be ported to WebExtension, but instead it will be integrated into Firefox. Whether it will be included already in FX 57, that I don't know.
                    I don't think it's going to be in 57. The larger issue, though, is that the implementation author is not interested in supporting the complete U2F spec, but cherry-picked the basic functionality. The relevant Bugzilla issues were locked to prevent people from complaining about this, see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1244959.

They don't say it, but the main issue is that U2F support is implemented in Rust and the spec requires downloading a JSON file. Currently, the Rust code in Firefox has no way to do HTTP requests via the browser's network stack.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post

I don't think it's going to be in 57. The larger issue, though, is that the implementation author is not interested in supporting the complete U2F spec, but cherry-picked the basic functionality. The relevant Bugzilla issues were locked to prevent people from complaining about this, see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1244959.

They don't say it, but the main issue is that U2F support is implemented in Rust and the spec requires downloading a JSON file. Currently, the Rust code in Firefox has no way to do HTTP requests via the browser's network stack.
                      Interesting and good to know. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                      X