Benchmarks Show Firefox 57 Quantum Doing Well, But Chrome Largely Winning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarks Show Firefox 57 Quantum Doing Well, But Chrome Largely Winning

Phoronix: Benchmarks Show Firefox 57 Quantum Doing Well, But Chrome Largely Winning

With the hype this week around Firefox Quantum Beta with its user-interface refinements and more noticeably the performance improvements, I decided to run some benchmarks on my end with a variety of tests comparing Firefox 52 ESR, Firefox 56 stable, Firefox 57 Quantum beta, and Chrome 60. Here are those web browser benchmark results from the Linux x86-64 desktop.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Firefox 57 is mostly about speeding up the CSS engine... something which won't show up prominently in most browser benchmarks. As they focus of javascript performance.

http://browserbench.org/MotionMark/ Would have been the one I would have expected to improve... strange that it doesn't.

Comment

Thanks for the article! it's quite sad, I quit Firefox for Chromium since Firefox 51 and always cchecking for Firefox to come back, but it isnt.

Unfortunately Google Hangouts video-calls only work in Chrome, and even some sites like IMDB only allow Chrome for video trailers streaming...

On my own benchmarks, even Vivaldi, a full-featured browser is running faster and using less ram than Firefox 56.

Last reason to quit was not being able to clear cache on my all-synced firefox accounts. After deleting my cache, next time I use another firefox device, it will upload all my sync info again for ever and ever. Firefox support could not help either...

nonetheless, most surprising fact is watching Firefox 57 perform slower than 56 in some tests???

Comment

Part of it is that a lot of these benchmarks just measure Javascript performance, and the web is made of a lot more than just Javascript.

Comment

Firefox 57 is the death of the most powerful adblockers, they have to be rewritten and will be a lot more restricted in what they can do. Happy day for Michael. Sad day for Mozilla, as they'll lose a shitton of users because of this.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
            Firefox 57 is the death of the most powerful adblockers, they have to be rewritten and will be a lot more restricted in what they can do. Happy day for Michael. Sad day for Mozilla, as they'll lose a shitton of users because of this.
            uBlock is working fine here as web extension... I literally can't tell a difference.

Comment

I guess we won't see improvements on MotionMark until Quantum Render gets in sometime down the line... speedometer is the one they were claiming all the speed ups on though.
              Last edited by cb88; 28 September 2017, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
                57 is also about design! At least on Fedora you will get rich headerbars.
                You keep repeating this nonsense, but it's completely incorrect. Firefox is not getting "rich headerbars". Its CSD mode will look *exactly* like its SSD mode, except there will be minimize/maximize/close buttons on the tabbar instead of them being outside the application (in the server-side decoration). Basically, how it works already in Windows and macOS. And like Chrome does it on all OSes, but on Linux it gives you the option to switch to SSD. BTW, Firefox will have such an option too. So, as much as it pains me to inform you, Firefox is not advancing your "death to SSD" agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  Lol. Honestly, you come off as a drama Queen, spreading fud. As someone pointed out; ublock works fine and if other devs rewrite / port their adblockerz (which is likely to happen), it's a non issue...

I'm guessing they will probably gain users, as they continue to improve the performance of the browser and as the transition to web extensions / plugins continues...

Firefox is definitely seeing some nice improvements and I definitely feel better about recommending it to people who don't want to use chrome, safari or edge... or to those on android (along with firefox focus)...

I think you are getting worked up over nothing. Tbh.

Comment

I've never used Chrome (Chromium) since it never offered anything useful, unlike Opera or Firefox. But at some point, developers of both browsers decided to make Chrome clones. Good thing is, Opera is now the best browser available, followed by Vivaldi. But Firefox went from bad Chrome clone to worse Chrome clone.

Comment

Working...
                    X