Firefox 56.0 Is Ready Ahead Of The Big Quantum Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

I wonder if it will be possible to reasonably use OpenCL and such to make it get use of the GPU for more stuff too...
    It would be possible, but the issue with OpenCL is that the software isn't there to support the hardware on Linux. Even though many of us have OpenCL-capable graphics cards, relatively few of us have the drivers on Linux to use it properly. That said, Servo's WebRender is making extensive use of the GPU in ways that no other web renderer has done before. In addition to OpenGL, there is also Vulkan support in the works. It's likely that we could eventually get GPGPU support through Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

It would be possible, but the issue with OpenCL is that the software isn't there to support the hardware on Linux. Even though many of us have OpenCL-capable graphics cards, relatively few of us have the drivers on Linux to use it properly. That said, Servo's WebRender is making extensive use of the GPU in ways that no other web renderer has done before. In addition to OpenGL, there is also Vulkan support in the works. It's likely that we could eventually get GPGPU support through Vulkan.
      I'm not certain about that. I've read a number of articles, some state that Vulkan is not ideal for compute. My early impression was that Vulkan would replace both OpenCL and OpenGL, but now it seems like it wasn't made to replace OpenCL at all. My impression now is that it isn't structured to made to do that.

Can anybody clarify what role Vulkan is capable of playing in GPGPU compute scenarios?

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

They won't specially since pulse works for 99.9% of their users, find another browser or rollback to a previous version or you maintain an up to date ALSA only build of Firefox for those in the tin foil hat community
        99.9% wouldn't need anything beyond alsa/dmix in the first place. Installing stuff just because you can doesn't appeal to everyone.

Comment

PA works here but it causes obvious sound latency increase in games, and Firefox is the only thing that wants PA in my setup because of that lame default.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

Let's see. These days OpenCL/Vulkan GPGPU is not so used. I hope it gets a lot more used in the near future

Originally posted by notaz View Post
            PA works here but it causes obvious sound latency increase in games, and Firefox is the only thing that wants PA in my setup because of that lame default.
            People say it's tailored for mainstream users, I keep thinking PulseAudio needs massive optimization. If their developers achieve it and add RT modes, it might even replace Jack too. Will they want to reach that goal? The probabilities seem low :/
            Last edited by timofonic; 03 October 2017, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X