No announcement yet.

Firefox 56.0 Is Ready Ahead Of The Big Quantum Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is actually a pretty good update, halfway to being where I want it to be. In the new "more tools..." menu it would be nice if you could put small items like open file and print side by side. and I wish you could move the Hamburger menu. AdBlock and H264ify work fine as webextensions, I did have to hunt down a new proxy switcher and it isn't perfect. NoScript is still a work in progress. Acutally if they just turned this more tools... menu into the hamburger menu and made it impossible to remove the customize button from it... that'd be perfect.

Turns out there is a decent proxy switcher thanks to some people from the fedora project.

Last edited by cb88; 28 September 2017, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

They won't specially since pulse works for 99.9% of their users, find another browser or rollback to a previous version or you maintain an up to date ALSA only build of Firefox for those in the tin foil hat community
      Except that it's not 99.9% that's just a flat out lie. Even if you only Linux users alone, PA doesn't work at all for that many people. It's honestly more like 80\20.

EDIT: Btw, the biggest problem I had with PA was finally identified yesterday, a workaround was discovered, although the root cause is still being investigated. All in all it's good news.
      Last edited by duby229; 28 September 2017, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Oh good - I always hated how FF would play videos on tabs I haven't opened yet.
        You can disable autoplay right now (if still using releases below 56) in about:config. There are 2 options for this.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
          What's the significance behind a "Rust-written" CSS engine?
          There are a few reasons of significance behind it. It is a huge announcement because the Servo project was created to eventually be integrated into Firefox, and it is a major success story for their Rust programming language as a whole, which was created alongside Servo. Being written in Rust is actually why it was so easy for them to create this multi-threaded CSS processor, which hadn't been done before. The entire massively parallel nature of Servo is the result of creating Rust for that purpose. Additionally, it is noteworthy because Rust implementations typically consume less memory, require less CPU cycles, and outperform C/C++ implementations, while also being free of an entire class of memory-related vulnerabilities that are rampant throughout web browser code bases. That is a major incentive for a web browser to advertise.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            You can disable autoplay right now (if still using releases below 56) in about:config. There are 2 options for this.
            Ah, I wasn't aware of this. I just assumed the feature was never available.

Comment

Hi Guys,

FF Developer Edition is already at #57 with most of the quantum features already available.

Comment

Can you already hack Firefox in version 57 to have tabs on bottom?

Comment

Originally posted by lano1106 View Post
                  Have they put back ALSA support?

If they haven't then I'm not interested...
                  Was it ever removed? You can select Alsa in FF port to FreeBSD, I doubt porting team added Alsa back in..

Comment

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
                    I wonder why they move the loading/stop/reload icon from right side of url-bar to the left side? Quite annoying where you look where things were but they aren't there any more.
                    It's the same as in other browsers now. I constantly have 3 browsers open at work and having reload in a different place in one of them was not very nice.

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Was it ever removed? You can select Alsa in FF port to FreeBSD, I doubt porting team added Alsa back in..
                    I don't think it was removed. PA was used by default when building Firefox, that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

They won't specially since pulse works for 99.9% of their users, find another browser or rollback to a previous version or you maintain an up to date ALSA only build of Firefox for those in the tin foil hat community
                      ALSA support was not removed, it just isn't the default anymore. I have ALSA working just fine on Gentoo...

Comment

Working...
                      X