FreeType Improvements For The Adobe Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sdack View Post
    Know you can change Freetype's run-time behaviour with an environment variable:

export FREETYPE_PROPERTIES="truetype:interpreter-version=40"

Other values are 35 and 38 for the previous interpreters. There are more, but you'd need to go through the documentation to find them all. See here.

Also Debian and likely many Debian-based distros can have their default hinting method altered system-wide by running (as root):

$ dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config
    The environment variable you mention is beside the point and still causes those bugs in those unpatched programs.

What you have to do to make those unpatched programs work correctly is to compile freetype2 yourself and uncomment the "#define FT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_RENDERING" line in include/freetype/config/ftoption.h. That option is by default disabled starting with 2.8.1 because there's now a new algorithm to do sub-pixel rendering.
    Last edited by Ropid; 25 September 2017, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Which completely broke font rendering in every other application, from Wine to Chrome and Thunderbird, text now has pixel garbage
      Just things that used Skia, because Skia had a nasty bug in the way it used FreeType

Comment

Originally posted by Ropid View Post

The environment variable you mention is beside the point and still causes those bugs in those unpatched programs.

What you have to do to make those unpatched programs work correctly is to compile freetype2 yourself and uncomment the "#define FT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_RENDERING" line in include/freetype/config/ftoption.h.
        Which is default enabled if you are using a Debian based distro.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
          Which is default enabled if you are using a Debian based distro.
          You don't need to set the define. Programs such as WINE and Thunderbird work just fine when you compile and install the vanilla version of freetype. Even when mixed in with Debian apps did this never give me a problem. I'm guessing, when he previously patched his sources then it's likely the patches, which are now breaking, but only he will know and right now it seems he's rather frustrated, because he doesn't.

Comment

The hinting changes in git master are relevant because most distros ship with the core PostScript fonts (helvetica, times, courier etc.) in Type1 format.

A problem may be that old fonts have faulty hinting. We'll see

The font rendering problems are caused by misuse of the FreeType API in e.g. Skia.

Comment

Originally posted by mudig View Post
              The hinting changes in git master are relevant because most distros ship with the core PostScript fonts (helvetica, times, courier etc.) in Type1 format.

A problem may be that old fonts have faulty hinting. We'll see

The font rendering problems are caused by misuse of the FreeType API in e.g. Skia.
              I don't think Type 1 fonts have hinting.

Edit: No, I remembered wrong. Type1 has hinting, it is Type3 that doesn't
              Last edited by carewolf; 26 September 2017, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Not bad: https://pasteboard.co/GM8K3qb.png

Comment

Please tell me the new one is on the left.

Comment

Originally posted by elvenbone View Post

Please tell me the new one is on the left.
                    It is.

Note this is with full hinting. With slight or no hinting there is no difference.

Comment

Note this is with full hinting. With slight or no hinting there is no difference.
                      Ah okay. Thanks for the info, I always get lost in all the different options of freetype.

Comment

Working...
                      X