A New Project To Let You Run Qt Apps With GTK+ Windowing System Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    What happened to LibreOffice Qt integration by the way? It's supposed to be possible, but Debian has only GTK option for it.
    What is Libreoffice Qt integration? Is it something different than libreoffice-kde.

Comment

I like the concept, but implementing it as a platform plugin rather than a widget style is a deal-breaker for me.

As I understand it, you can only have one platform plugin in use at once, and I'm already relying on the KDE platform plugin, so this can't be my successor to using QGtkStyle to run everything on my desktop off the Lubuntu GTK+ theme.

(I've never been a big fan of the aesthetics GNOME or post-3.5.x KDE tend to push and the Lubuntu theme feels like an improvement on themes like Plastik/Plastique and QtCurve just as they felt like an improvement on the Windows 9x theme back when I was on KDE 3.5.x.)

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
        I like the concept, but implementing it as a platform plugin rather than a widget style is a deal-breaker for me.

As I understand it, you can only have one platform plugin in use at once, and I'm already relying on the KDE platform plugin, so this can't be my successor to using QGtkStyle to run everything on my desktop off the Lubuntu GTK+ theme.

(I've never been a big fan of the aesthetics GNOME or post-3.5.x KDE tend to push and the Lubuntu theme feels like an improvement on themes like Plastik/Plastique and QtCurve just as they felt like an improvement on the Windows 9x theme back when I was on KDE 3.5.x.)
        (disclaimer: I'm the author)

I don't really know anything about KDE, but: if you're using the KDE platform plugin, I assume you're on KDE. If so, then I'd think you don't want to use this indeed: at least, not without some work to add whatever features it offers into gtk+ first -- though that may well be a nice idea if you're using such a setup anyway, as then you'd get the reverse benefit (of having gtk+ applications working well inside KDE).

The primary usecase here is for the opposite "direction": I run a GNOME desktop, and I want applications using other toolkits to look/feel a bit better integrated.

Comment

Hmm. That is weird. It appears to be a qpa plugin. That means it is on the same level as xcb and wayland plugins. We have another plugin level however for desktop integration, and there already are GNOME and GTK3 plugins on that level that uses native dialogs and configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
            Hmm. That is weird. It appears to be a qpa plugin. That means it is on the same level as xcb and wayland plugins. We have another plugin level however for desktop integration, and there already are GNOME and GTK3 plugins on that level that uses native dialogs and configuration.
            Right, but both of those only provide superficial integration of the content inside of the window for the most part. They don't allow for deeper integration of things that are part of the platform, like GtkHeaderBar or transparent use of gtk+'s gestures, which are in my longer term goals. And as I think is quite easily visible from https://github.com/CrimsonAS/gtkplatform/wiki, both the xcb and the wayland plugins are - in my opinion - not really usable out of the box unless you have very poor quality standards.

Comment

I choose my software based on functionality, not looks. Seriously, who cares if GIMP looks different than Dolphin, or if Nautilus looks different than Virtualbox? Does a change in the theme make me more productive? No? Then I couldn't care less.

Comment

It's seems like this project was developed for aesthetic reasons. Which is fair all by itself, but I know for sure one mans sense of aesthetics are not equal to another mans sense of aesthetics. Fo Sho, Fo Sho. Which, besides the early days when Qt didn't have a good license, is one of the good reasons to have multiple widget sets.
                Last edited by duby229; 24 September 2017, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Can't we just have one GUI framework ... ?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                    Can't we just have one GUI framework ... ?
                    No...

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post

What is Libreoffice Qt integration? Is it something different than libreoffice-kde.
                      I suppose it should be different, since libreoffice-kde was stuck with Qt 4 and obsolete bits. So it was removed from Debian.

Comment

Working...
                      X