Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.11 Rolls Into Beta With New System Settings, Better Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    -- only starting XWayland when needed.
    So they were faster than Gnome at implementing something on their Wayland implementation?

Anyway, looking forward to try Wayland with KDE as well. Just tell me when it's considered stable.

Comment

Originally posted by mmmbop View Post
      Middle-mouse paste and browser support is the big thing I'm waiting on before switching to Wayland on KDE...

The last Firefox flatpak I tried with Wayland support was unusable. The the window contents were 2x bigger than the window, and clicks were registered nowhere near where I clicked.
      Haha I hear you on the middle-mouse paste. That's been driving me nuts. But, the KDE devs seem to be pretty good about keeping up with inputs and Wayland. Around a year ago, caps lock didn't work properly, the trackpad was wonky, and the system settings for input controls would often crash. All of that has been fixed.

Why are you using a flatpak of Firefox, though?

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

That's not a GNOME issue, that's a conscious Wayland design choice.
        Window positioning is up to the compositor. If windows positions aren't remembered that is the compositor's fault.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Why are you using a flatpak of Firefox, though?
          To try out the Wayland build without risking instability with the system package

Comment

Originally posted by mmmbop View Post

To try out the Wayland build without risking instability with the system package
            firefox is not optimized for wayland while chromium is optimized for wayland.

Comment

Are CSD apps broken in even Wayland still? I really want to give Plasma a shot but with half of the apps not having shadows or focus-distinguishing it's impossible to use...

Comment

I tried Plans 5.11 beta in Wayland in Arch Linux... It is at the moment quite unstable and on my 4k screen I could not find any dpi font or scaling combination that looks good. It always defaults to 2x scaling on Wayland and with 96 dpi the GTK applications like Firefox look too big and unsharp, but even the title bar is unsharp and that is Qt. Don't know, how this could have not been noticed! If I increase the dpi to 160 dpi and I go to 1x scaling, it looks better... but the wallpaper is then to small and the rest of the screen is blank... then I thought rebooting helps, but then you are back to 2x scaling. Annoying. When I log out of Plasma Wayland back to SDDM the machine will just crash with a black screen and I must reset. And even the mouse clicks are not positioned correctly :-(

As a KDE user I really hope they will fix Plasma-Wayland until the release.
                Last edited by R41N3R; 14 September 2017, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

firefox is not optimized for wayland while chromium is optimized for wayland.
                  Got a source for that? As far as I can tell, chromium/chrome efforts are incomplete, with a bunch of people running it in through XWayland without knowing it and thinking it's native Wayland.

Firefox has a definitely-Wayland flatpak available here: https://firefox-flatpak.mojefedora.cz/

Sorry to sidetrack this comment section..

Comment

What about the "Night Light" feature that adjusts the color temperature according to the time of the day in wayland (just like Redshift under X)? Is it implemented in 5.11?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                      Is it ready for prime time now?
                      Can't you read the announcement yourself? That question is addressed there.

Comment

Working...
                      X