Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPV Player 0.27 Brings Rendering Refactoring, OpenGL Improvements

Phoronix: MPV Player 0.27 Brings Rendering Refactoring, OpenGL Improvements

For fans of the MPlayer-forked MPV Player, it's time to upgrade to version 0.27...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meanwhile, the official Ubuntu Zesty repos are still stuck at 0.24 :/

I can see Artful has 0.26 though, which is not that old.

Comment

Umm, it should be obvious which new API is the target - Vulkan. A Vulkan video output is in the works already. Also, this one is less obvious, but it's in the works too, Direct3D11

Comment

The only serious video player on linux

Comment

Originally posted by raom View Post
          The only serious video player on linux
          I was very happy when I found mpv after finally ditching Windows early 2017. Was using mpc-hc with madvr on Windows 10 before. Sad to hear development of mpc-hc stop shortly after I went away from Windows, but I've found my perfect replacement in mpv.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

I was very happy when I found mpv after finally ditching Windows early 2017. Was using mpc-hc with madvr on Windows 10 before. Sad to hear development of mpc-hc stop shortly after I went away from Windows, but I've found my perfect replacement in mpv.
            Agreed. I ditched Windows in 2003, but, in early 2017, I finally discovered libmpv and Python bindings for it, which really ease putting together the kind of "nothing but a video window... but with customized interaction mechanics" media player I want. (As opposed to PyQt's video widget, which lacks various optimizations that mplayer-family players have and I'd have to reinvent a lot of the UI behaviours I want to keep.)

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
              You might be interested in mpc-qt

Comment

Originally posted by dietrdan View Post
                You might be interested in mpc-qt
                Waaay too much UI.

The first thing I looked up when I switched from MPlayer to MPV was osc=no and my libmpv creation is basically some custom keybinds coupled with things like "After the end of each file, check whether X time has elapsed and exit if it has" and playback logging for generating "Show me some riffs I haven't seen in a while" bedtime playlists.

My main means of interacting with MPV is "Left-click for dragging the window, double-click for toggling full-screen, right-click for toggling play/pause, and scroll wheel for seeking". (I launch it from a urxvt+screen stack with the kuake plugin bound to F12.)

Heck, I even set a KWin rule so it pops up undecorated and maximized into my left-hand monitor, but is still draggable by clicking anywhere (which fullscreen wouldn't allow) with some interestingly useful interactions with how KWin's maximization, dragging, and mouse-tiling interact.

Comment

Meanwhile, the official Ubuntu Zesty repos are still stuck at 0.24 :/

I can see Artful has 0.26 though, which is not that old.
                  It's also available as a snap, so you can use "sudo snap install mpv --beta". That currently provides 0.26, but should hopefully get 0.27 soon. I'm currently using it on 14.04LTS without any problems. Lacks an icon for the launcher, but that doesn't bother me.

Comment

Working...
                  X