Blender 2.79 Now Available With Much Faster Radeon OpenCL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    One of the first opensource programs to adopt OpenCL was LibreOffice's Calc, with AMD making a big deal of it, saying that because of it their APUs were faster that Intel's i5s. I remember some time ago that Calc's OpenCL support was very broken. How is it now?
    broken yet

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

broken yet
      Yeah, I just checked on a Windows machine with a Radeon card, is broken there too.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        That's why they should seize you.
        Vega is relatively untouched by miners so far...
        I doubt V56 will live very well since the V64 bios can be inserted to V56 to get the memory clocks\Voltage.

I bought V64 and had relative ease getting it.

RX570 and RX580 have been a different story... something is up as they start to pop up in shops but availability is short lived per entry but overall finding a card in stock somewhere is easy nowadays thankfully.

Comment

I just bought a reference design RX Vega 64 from Sapphire and was planning to put one of my HD 7970 GHz Ed. cards into my FX-8350 Linux box and play with Blender + OpenCL since I was under the impression that the GCN 1 arch is pretty good at OpenCL.

And then I read this in the Cycles release notes:

Due to various driver issues with AMD GCN 1 cards we can no longer support these GPUs. This patch makes them unavailable to select for Cycles rendering.

source: issue 1f0998b
          Hrmpf.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
            Only possible with AMDGPU proprietary driver. It's useless iwith Mesa, and ROCm Kernel core dumps on Debian with the ROCm stack installed. In short, it's a Work-in-Progress that isn't there yet, for Non-Windows.
            But isn't AMD's proprietary driver openSource? So what's the big deal?

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

But isn't AMD's proprietary driver openSource? So what's the big deal?
              No, thus the name proprietary

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post
                No, thus the name proprietary
                I don't those are mutually exclusive...

Comment

Working...
                X