Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender 2.79 Now Available With Much Faster Radeon OpenCL

Phoronix: Blender 2.79 Now Available With Much Faster Radeon OpenCL

Today marks the long-awaited debut of the Blender 2.79 3D modeling software release. Especially for those using OpenCL acceleration, Blender 2.79 is quite an exciting update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been unable to run Blender using ROCm from AMDGPU-PRO (it always gets stuck at Path Tracing Tile 1/135)... Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    OpenCL are now as mjuch as 50% faster.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 13 September 2017, 04:15 AM.

Comment

One of the first opensource programs to adopt OpenCL was LibreOffice's Calc, with AMD making a big deal of it, saying that because of it their APUs were faster that Intel's i5s. I remember some time ago that Calc's OpenCL support was very broken. How is it now?
      Last edited by M@GOid; 12 September 2017, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Phoronix: Blender 2.79 Now Available With Much Faster Radeon OpenCL
        Only possible with AMDGPU proprietary driver. It's useless iwith Mesa, and ROCm Kernel core dumps on Debian with the ROCm stack installed. In short, it's a Work-in-Progress that isn't there yet, for Non-Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          I've been unable to run Blender with OpenCL (ROCm) with AMDGPU-PRO (it always gets stuck)...
          I don't understand - unless you have a Vega "OpenCL (ROCm)" and "AMDGPU-PRO" are two different stacks.

We have integrated ROCm into AMDGPU-PRO but that is currently only enabled for OpenCL on Vega - for all the earlier chips you still get the "Orca" code paths (going through graphics driver rather than ROC).

Which hardware and driver stack are you running ?
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I don't understand - unless you have a Vega "OpenCL (ROCm)" and "AMDGPU-PRO" are two different stacks.

We have integrated ROCm into AMDGPU-PRO but that is currently only enabled for OpenCL on Vega - for all the earlier chips you still get the "Orca" code paths (going through graphics driver rather than ROC).

Which hardware and driver stack are you running ?
            I'm indeed using Vega. I'll reword the post now.

Comment

I'm indeed using Vega.
              Miner, seize him!

Comment

More importantly for me, Blender now doesn't flicker anymore on Mesa with my AMD RX 460 \o/.,

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Miner, seize him!
                  What? I don't use the card for mining...

Comment

What? I don't use the card for mining...
                    That's why they should seize you.

Comment

Working...
                    X