KGraphViewer Brought To KDE Frameworks 5, Qt 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
    Well.. With a proper level of deduplication there would be room for better, generic names.
    Again a bug that could have been squished if you would consider contributing instead of trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by tichun
      I despise the naming system of KDE applications.
      Too much 'K', no spaces between words and some silly words.
      It is just to amateurish haha
      Not all KDE applications use a 'K' in their name. Or maybe I'm blind and therefore fail to see the 'K' hidden in KDE apps like 'Babe' and 'Calligra Words'?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I'm aware there ARE applications without generic names, I'm just saying that Windows and Mac have way more generic names than you want to believe.

Also, how exactly do you not realize you're contradicting yourself? Movie Maker and Internet Explorer are titled exactly what they are (albeit, Movie Maker is a bit ambitious of a name). How are those not generic names? Meanwhile, Word, OneNote, Google Drive, iTunes, and (if you know what a cloud is) iCloud are pretty self-explanatory without opening them.

You had many options to defend your argument and you chose those?
        Couldn't agree more! Although, in defence of iTunes: it has outgrown its name these days. I mean: it used to be a music player and stuff, but today it also manages your iOS apps and stuff so it's not really a 'Tunes' application anymore. And regarding Google Drive: it does sound self-explanatory, although not necessarily for storing stuff in the cloud as a 'drive' is also hardware-related. But the rest I agree with.

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post
          I hate searching online for errors in generically named programs.
          Me too. Therefore, I like GNOME's approach: call the file manager 'Files' to the users but 'nautilus' internally. (and the same goes for most other GNOME software)

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Me too. Therefore, I like GNOME's approach: call the file manager 'Files' to the users but 'nautilus' internally. (and the same goes for most other GNOME software)
            Files it's very good name, but application itself is total crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Pretty much every DE I have tested has this kind of amateurish crap.
              I can only hope.
              Trollol

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                Simple names would be much more easier for my parents and newcomers to an OS or DE.
                I don't even want to tell what nightmare this is for translators to make it understandable in another language when you have proper nouns.
                AFAIK in sane DEs you can change the name shown in the "start menu" to the generic name with a switch in its own options (on Mate is "Show generic application names", at least in the start menu used by Mint).
                On KDE it should be something like "Show applications as" in the settings of your Application Menu/Launcher/Dashboard to "Description only".

Being GNOME what it is, they have generic names by default.

It baffles me that the develpers don't understand that while "Writer" is pretty easy for english-speaking people to understand and figure out what it does, it's not so easy for people speaking other languages.
                Is it hard to just ask and then learn how your programs are called? I mean it's not like it is hard, especially if you have icons and descriptions under them.

Or you also expect the new people you encounter to be called "blond dude" or "fat dude with tatoos" just because John or Gerard are arbitrary names that don't describe the person that uses them?

I think I remember that in the past I tried to quickly open the terminal in KDE by searching for "Terminal" because I didn't know or cared how the've called it and it failed because it was actually called "Konsole"
                They added tags to workaround this. Now if you write "terminal" it will pull up all virtual terminal applications. For example I get Konsole an yakuake (drop down terminal).

And if you excuse me I'd like to have more than 1 application per type, as not all applications have the same feature set.

Anyway, maybe desktop environments' developers will understand this one day and will name the programs that are part of the DE like:
                The main issue is that if you have more than 1 program per type then it becomes stupid. What is Text Editor 1? What is Text Editor 2?

https://blog.qt.io/blog/2005/08/10/o...-applications/
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 13 September 2017, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I'm aware there ARE applications without generic names, I'm just saying that Windows and Mac have way more generic names than you want to believe.

Also, how exactly do you not realize you're contradicting yourself? Movie Maker and Internet Explorer are titled exactly what they are (albeit, Movie Maker is a bit ambitious of a name). How are those not generic names? Meanwhile, Word, OneNote, Google Drive, iTunes, and (if you know what a cloud is) iCloud are pretty self-explanatory without opening them.
                  Internet Explorer has been replaced by Edge.

And how is putting "i" in front of something any better than putting "k" in front of something? So "itunes" is great but "kalarm" is somehow bad?

And KDE has "way more generic names than you want to believe", too, like system settings, words, stage, sheets, kwrite, kruler, labplot, smb5k, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                    And regarding Google Drive: it does sound self-explanatory, although not necessarily for storing stuff in the cloud as a 'drive' is also hardware-related. But the rest I agree with.
                    If you're using a Chromebook or Google Docs, Google Drive actually behaves just like a normal hard drive (to the end user, obviously not so much in the grand scheme).

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                    Internet Explorer has been replaced by Edge.
                    I'm aware. Doesn't detract that IE (which is still found on many Windows 10 installs) is a generic name for a web browser.

And how is putting "i" in front of something any better than putting "k" in front of something? So "itunes" is great but "kalarm" is somehow bad?

And KDE has "way more generic names than you want to believe", too, like system settings, words, stage, sheets, kwrite, kruler, labplot, smb5k, etc.
                    You're arguing against the wrong person here. I'm more in-favor of the prefixes than most people here. I think it's a little dumb, but useful. I also never doubted the amount of generic names in KDE.

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                    Great Goalpost movement... So let's recap:

Goal Post 1: Applications should have no branding and have totally generic names
                    Goal Post 2: Most applications on Windows have generic names
                    Goal Post 3: These branded names are self-descriptive, even though they're not the generic name.

Well guess what? If that's now our goalpost most k/g software names are self-descriptive such as KGraphViewer the subject of this article, and K/G software are now okay again.
                    Never moved the goalpost... you just were kicking toward the wrong one... You're also doing a real crap job at paying attention to who you're arguing against.
                    1. I never said that and I don't necessarily agree.
                    2. Most applications Windows comes with have generic names. Sure, maybe I should've been more explicit, but the point was there are a lot more generic names than you wanted to believe.
                    3. I pointed out self-descriptive names in the post before the one you started rattling off programs. That's your fault for not paying attention.

Like TheBlackCat, you are failing to realize that I wasn't whining about generic names for KDE or Gnome, and, I don't really care about having stuff like a K in front.

Chill out and pay attention.
                    Last edited by schmidtbag; 13 September 2017, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
                      Well.. With a proper level of deduplication there would be room for better, generic names.
                      I agree. Let's start by killing Gnome and all its applications, so we won't have to use 'K' in KDE apps.

See how ridiculous that sounds when you put a pro-KDE slant to it. Just as annoying as your childish/trolling comments about Gnome.

Comment

Working...
                      X