LibreOffice Gets Flicker-Free OpenGL Transitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    I'm no master spreadsheet designer, but I've made enough that I understand there is a maximum complexity that once reached a human being just can't comprehend anymore. And it's because of the way spreadsheets are supposed to be organized.
    I understand what you're saying, but that comes down to my point "spreadsheets aren't databases". If you are struggling to make a spreadsheet easy to understand, you're either bad at designing it or you're using it in place of a database. The sole purpose of a spreadsheet is to take data (such as from a database) and display it in a human-intelligible way. In many (if not most) cases, calculations on the spreadsheet are not necessary.
    For my job, a lot of what I do involves grabbing data from databases and create automated processes that generate spreadsheets with only a few select fields. There is a lot you can do to take data from a database and make it user-friendly, using things such as freeze-panes, conditional formatting, automated totals, groups/outlines, autofilters, cells that link to other sheets, graphs, gant charts, staggered background colors, and so on. Depending on what the client needs, you can also summarize hundreds of thousands of records into a small table involving maybe just 10 columns and 20 rows. These are all things that are best done in programs like Calc or Excel.

If you just take 30 fields and paste them in a plain un-formatted table with a calculation here and there, you're using a spreadsheet wrong.

I'm not in any way arguing about lack of multithreading. I'm just arguing that giant spreadsheets that can't be understood is his particular problem. And it's probably your particular problem too from your description. The only person in this world that can look at your spreadsheet and understand it is probably you alone.
    Depends on your definition of giant. An easy-to-read spreadsheet can still have 1 million records, but I've seen very difficult-to-read spreadsheets that only had 10 records. That being said, if you're trying to run a calculation, a filter, or some tool on those 1 million records, Calc is extremely slow to do so, whereas Excel isn't.

A lot of what makes a speradsheet hard to read often has to do with how many fields you include, but it isn't exclusive to that. You can build spreadsheets that include 40 fields and are user-friendly if you format it properly.

EDIT:
    To put things in another perspective, take a look at programming. Using tabs, spacing, and comments makes all the difference in how legible your code is. If you do each of those things right, even an amateur can decipher what you wrote. But if they're inconsistent (or just lacking entirely) then even a professional can't read your code.
    Meanwhile, your IDE's way of color-coding and formatting your code makes a night and day difference when trying to read it. The code is exactly the same, but it can go from hard-to-read to "oh this makes sense".
    You also have to consider how much code is fluff or unnecessary. I have shortened 100-line example files down to 20 with the exact same behavior.

All of this relates to how a spreadsheet should be done.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 12 September 2017, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post

Looks like you are unfamiliar with recent Work on Firefox. Remember your cursings when reality strikes.
      Ummm. Right. I work on it almost daily. I know exactly what's going on.
      The fact that it integrates with common CSDs (not just Gnome either. You have the same CSDs on Windows too and on other DEs) and allows you to re-use your headerbar styles doesn't make it "inspired by Gnome HIG" or nonsensical shit like that.

Most of the UI is still moving to plain HTML5, not any one desktop toolkit.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Most of the UI is still moving to plain HTML5, not any one desktop toolkit.
        Nah! You're delusional!!! There is no Browser.html! They are not investing lots of resources on it. And they're not planing anything you said.

In fact, Mozilla is !secretly planing to move the entire browser to GTK. Just because of the huge resource gains they'll !have.

Because, !definitely, Gnome is !surely !the best toolkit mankind ever invented...

!surely...
        Last edited by Mavman; 12 September 2017, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post

Nah! You're delusional!!! There is no Browser.html! They are not investing lots of resources on it. And they're not planing anything you said.

In fact, Mozilla is !secretly planing to move the entire browser to GTK. Just because of the huge resource gains they'll !have.

Because, !definitely, Gnome !is surely the !best toolkit mankind ever invented...

!surely...
          funny sarcasm? It's hard to tell. I think so.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

funny sarcasm? It's hard to tell. I think so.
            No, no! Not at all. My finger just slipped !unintentionally a few times on that strange c++ related ! "sign"

Comment

Rich headerbars and CSD is part of the GNOME HIG. The days of WM policing and dumbed down title bars are over.
              Tell that to Mac OS and Windows. Both use CSD, neither is a "GNOME HIG" derivative.

Mavman
              Actually, browser.html is indeed more of a prototype akin to Opera's Neon.
              Photon, however, does land plenty of UI progress optimisations tailored towards a more HTML5 centric design approach.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Mavman
                Actually, browser.html is indeed more of a prototype akin to Opera's Neon.
                Photon, however, does land plenty of UI progress optimisations tailored towards a more HTML5 centric design approach.
                yes, you're right!!!

i keep following browser.html's page and I completely forgot about Photon.

I didn't even know it was already in nightly!!!

thanks for the correction

Comment

Yeah, they failed. All of them failed. That's the point!
                  Well :
                  - Jolla hasn't failed (Yet). They managed to recover from the Tablet blunder. They are struggling, but they still stand a change to survive in the long run.
                  - even if it's not a proper commercial company, KDE is major proponent of Qt on Linux, and all the various distributions that put resources into KDE (such as SUSE) are thus indirectly putting efforts into Qt on Linux.

It's *far* from an orphan project.

Comment

Working...
                  X