Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.26: Wayland vs. X.Org Performance - Boot Times, Power Use, Memory Use & Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrallDennis View Post
    not being able to launch software like gprated (and anything else relying on running with root privileges)
    not being able to launch broken software is nice

Comment

Originally posted by KrallDennis View Post
      I was just giving my thoughts about gnome-shell running in a wayland session from a "regular user's" point of view.
      regular users don't run gparted

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
        My brief experience with Wayland, although on Ubuntu-GNOME 17.04 with gnome-shell 3.24:
        it is experience with one specific implementation

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          regular users don't run gparted
          Regular users don't run Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            it is experience with one specific implementation
            Indeed, and that's why I'm excited to give it another shot once I get 17.10 onto my main desktop PC. I have a VM with 17.10 for testing, but I know from previous testing that Waylands current problems aren't as obvious on VM's as they are on physical machines.

Comment

Originally posted by AnassAhmed View Post

NVIDIA drivers don't support XWayland though. All games work under X as of right now.
              have you even tried?

Comment

From testing on my tablet, there are two issues with Wayland on GNOME right now: Nautilus somehow decides that every input event is a drag from the centre of the screen to where the click happened; and the text copy handles on Chrome disappear when trying to interact with them, making copying very difficult without a keyboard. That's it, no more issues there.

From the functionality that I wish was there, I'd say screen recording is high up on the list. Wayland has a lot of potential for finally solving the problem of recording performance on Linux, but the whole system is yet to be developed. Especially for things like OBS that absolutely require the ability to track particular surfaces and combine the result.

Oh, also, I wish there was a way to tell whether something is running natively or through XWayland. Right now they are too seamless!

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                  If it's in the end only marginally faster
                  it was never about being faster
                  , while you also lose such abilities as network-transparent rendering,
                  this is ridiculous. you will never lose your vnc
                  The gain will then only exist for the developers
                  you are lunatic

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post
                    From my reading of the issue, it doesn't sound like anyone cares enough to work on it.
                    if they had enough devs, they wouldn't do ui in javascript in the first place

Comment

Regular users don't run Linux.
                      i was not the one talking about regular users

Comment

Working...
                      X