A Look At The New Features Of GNOME 3.26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Religious people do have rough life living in their dreams and ignoring the reality and can not tolerate facts. See your own comments.
    Hahahahahaha! You rehearsed this in front of the mirror, right? Hahahahahaha!

Comment

• Originally posted by sdack View Post
      Start by paying attention to the amount of times you delete files. How did the file got there in the first place? When did the file become unnecessary? And so on. Once you figure it out will you be able to reduce the number of dupes and deletions. Chances are you'll never needed to have a duplicate in the first place. Most software you're using makes duplicates on its own or it has built-in undo and recovery functions. Also backup software isn't just good against hardware failures, but it's also useful when you've lost a file by your own doing.

Also dupes causes bloat for the infrastructure. They fill up shared file systems, backups and networks. I know, but some people just love to copy entire directories just for the extra warm and fuzzy feeling, while the rest of the office complaints about the slow network... Don't do it.
      huh?
      you said "you've learned how to avoid coping and moving files around"
      and now you are talking only about duplicates and deleting them. Sounds really like a troll.
      So sorry bro, I already do all that backup stuff and still have no problem managing or deleting files that I just donĀ“t need anymore despite them not being dupes.
      So come again - tell me how can I avoid moving files to structure them?

Comment

• Originally posted by leipero View Post
        tomtomme Split windows is useful in some cases, but it is useless more often than not. It seems (from posts here) that people misunderstood Nautilus tab paradigm, it works in similar fashion to the browser tab way that people are familiar with, and that is good move IMO. The obvious advantage of tabs is that you have whole working space per tab, while with spliting the window, you are limited to the specific number depending on what you are doing. It is much easier to simply middle click on folder to open it in a new tab compared to bothering to split multiple windows, by middle click (browser type) on multiple folders, you have multiple tabs named by name of the folder, manipulation of files with "drag and drop" technique is as simple as with slit-windows, just drag folder to specific tab, you don't even need to wait arbitrary time to open that tab, you can just drop it on tab and it will be moved/copied.
        oh that sounds good! Thanks. Have to try nautilus again with this tab stuff!

Comment

• The Settings changes are a visual negative in my view

(1) All of the icons are black and white and much smaller, making it much harder to easily find something
          (2) On my 1080p setup, the list scrolls off the bottom. The control panel entries I use the most "Mouse & Touchpad" and "Displays" are both hidden under the non-obvious "Devices" which is also scrolled off the bottom of the list
          (3) The top left is no longer the close button but a search button... of course that's not the GNOME default so I'll give them a pass on that but it is a little annoying.

On the plus side you can just start typing to search, which is probably the better aspect of this change and more power user friendly but power users probably also can memorise where to click.

Comment

• Originally posted by finalzone View Post
            From that logic, enterprises using Gnome in their desktop system are poor people. What about users who choose to get a different alternative of Photoshop rather than buying it?
            What about Apple owners running on Gnome? Contributions are the keys.
            I was referring to home users therefore mention of Facebook and YouTube.

Companies have budgets, they want to reduce costs. Not using it because it is good, but because it can support what they need (in other words - shitty but they can live with it; or to put it into a nicer perspective it is good enough given that it is free). Usually they would need Excel features in open source alternative which is also free. This you can do also with browser.

I've been working as IT consultant for some years. I haven't seen once a desktop installation of Linux in a big company (servers yes, all the time). Everybody uses windows. We can say that it might be linked to the industry - I've been working in Telco and banking, but still...
            In my region, even small companies use Windows, but for other reasons. There is no software that supports e.g. POS systems or accounting except windows (or better to say extremely rare software works on Linux and nobody implemented it). So no gnome as well.

So, as far as I see it, startup companies use it for the reason of it being free. And until now unity - not gnome. Now we will probably see migration to Gnome because canonical dropped unity and not because it is so good environment that it's everyone's first pick when it comes to productivity.
            Last edited by misp; 12 September 2017, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X