A Look At The New Features Of GNOME 3.26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bug77 Well, it goes both ways,
    And yes, when a significant number of people don't get a new paradigm, it's a clear sign there's something wrong with it.
    is also opiniated and missing my point. We are not doing anything factual here.

Comment

Originally posted by Goingdown View Post
      I am Gnome user since version 1.4 and I am pretty happy with Gnome 3.24 without any extensions. I even really like default ALT-TAB behavior.

Of course I use another window manager/desktops as well (Awesome is Awesome!) but it seems that I just like Gnome most.
      Same here, from 1.4 to this day, a happy Gnome user. I only use the weather extension. Never understood the hate. Adapted Gnome 3 right away and liked it. Way better than 1* or 2* Gnome

Comment

The best Gnome feature, among the many that it has got, is that one does not have to use it. Hopefully this feature will never be removed.

Comment

Originally posted by misp View Post
          ​​​​​Basically I'd split it like this: gnome is for content consumption, kde is for content production.
          Gnome in Shell form is definitely for production as used by some professional content creators.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Gnome in Shell form is definitely for production as used by some professional content creators.
            Didn't say it wasn't used like that. That's how it looks: dumbed down interface that you use to start a browser which has a bookmark for Google. Then you Google Facebook and YouTube.

​​​Some phones are used for content production as well. Hell, there was a movie made with iPhone. This doesn't make it environment used for production, but it can be (mis?)used like that.

​​​​​​Gnome unfortunately has a vision. A shitty one I think, but it's free so it's ok. It's being made for poor people that can't afford apple, but doesn't have Photoshop.

kde, they don't have a vision (fuck the mission/vision statements, not talking about that). They are just throwing things so what sticks - sticks. Right click the desktop in default kde plasma install, let's say neon. That says it all. Not needed to comment on the outdated design, animations and generally ux. This was made for programmers.

Either way, I use gnome. Moslty for content consumption. So, all this comes from my perspective... and a few people I know use it the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
              Sorry if you're still carrying a rage in you. It did get a lot of people mad and upset.
              On the contrary - I've been using Gnome 3 happily pretty much since Fedora enabled it, so I do know what features it has. I simply think the claim that it was designed for phone-sized devices is a load of crap... it's got some recognisably-mobile elements, but as-designed, it's still a desktop OS, good for a large HD screen, but not well suited to smaller devices.

And I say that from experience, having tried running it on a 9" touch-screen netbook... it's (barely) functional on the small screen, but pretty much unusable on touch alone (having the program launcher accessed from the top of the screen is really awkward for a tablet form-factor... any Shell-based tablet would need a hardware button for that).

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
                As long as Gnome developers (and FWIW, the same applies to KDE developers) force me to change the virtual desktop on all my monitors just because I have changed it on one of the monitors, it is useless to me.
                Seriously, all the tiling WMs can change virtual desktops on all monitors independently, but Gnome and KDE can't. This makes working with multi-monitor setups more than annoying.
                Yeah. that's annoyed me a few times in the past... pretty much all desktops and WMs (barring the tiling WMs you mention) insist on treating multiple monitors as one big continuous area. And that's invariably the wrong thing to do, since I doubt many people routinely want to have windows spanning monitors with bezels in the middle... far more common for people to treat the two as completely separate displays, in which case separate virtual desktops would be extremely useful.

In the past, I solved it on my work machine by configuring X11 with the monitors as separate X11 "screens"... it did give two fully-independent sets of virtual desktops, though with the downside of being unable to move windows between monitors. A desktop with native support for such things would have been really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post

I doubt the Gnome developers will suffer a troll coding in their midst
                  Not likely, no. Gnome and KDE developers generally get on pretty well with each other, and I believe both have a code of conduct that prohibits the kind of assholery that some of their fans exhibit. The general view is that fans like those are just an embarrassment to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    Now, how do you navigate from your home folder to / using Nautilus?
                    I don't have it in front of me to check, but muscle-memory tells me "Press Ctrl+L, type /, press Enter".

Comment

• Originally posted by misp View Post
                      Didn't say it wasn't used like that. That's how it looks: dumbed down interface that you use to start a browser which has a bookmark for Google. Then you Google Facebook and YouTube.
                      Its simplified interface and more emphasis on shortcut key allow more focus on productivity in professional world especially dedicated in content creation. On my own non-scientific tests, my clients and friends thought I was running a custom iOS. It turned out clean interface allow them to quickly navigate.

​​​Some phones are used for content production as well. Hell, there was a movie made with iPhone. This doesn't make it environment used for production, but it can be (mis?)used like that.
                      Exception to the rules. Being there, done that before with Samsung Galaxy S5 for a quick presentation requested by a client at the last minute.

​​​​​​
                      Gnome unfortunately has a vision. A shitty one I think, but it's free so it's ok. It's being made for poor people that can't afford apple, but doesn't have Photoshop.
                      From that logic, enterprises using Gnome in their desktop system are poor people. What about users who choose to get a different alternative of Photoshop rather than buying it?
                      What about Apple owners running on Gnome? Contributions are the keys.

Comment

Working...
                      X