No announcement yet.

A Look At The New Features Of GNOME 3.26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as Gnome developers (and FWIW, the same applies to KDE developers) force me to change the virtual desktop on all my monitors just because I have changed it on one of the monitors, it is useless to me.
    Seriously, all the tiling WMs can change virtual desktops on all monitors independently, but Gnome and KDE can't. This makes working with multi-monitor setups more than annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
      debianxfce. Thanks for confirming; it is easier and faster to change the theme than writing hate rant about the headerbar.
      If you would have spent all the time you hate ranted about KDE learning to code in C instead, you know, you now could be an actual Gnome contributor.
      Of course, it is easier to troll a forum than to be a productive member of the open source community.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post

If you would have spent all the time you hate ranted about KDE learning to code in C instead, you know, you now could be an actual Gnome contributor.
        Of course, it is easier to troll a forum than to be a productive member of the open source community.
        I doubt the Gnome developers will suffer a troll coding in their midst

Comment

Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post

I doubt the Gnome developers will suffer a troll coding in their midst
          Idk, some of their decision certainly look like they're trolling their own users

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Wrong, advanced users don't usually drag-and-drop as it has crap accuracy, so double-screen filemanagers don't get much traction.
            Advanced users use either keyboard shortcuts (ctrl-c ctrl-v) or for large amounts of files they rightclick to open file transfer programs (this on windows mostly)
            Advanced users use ranger.

Comment

tomtomme Split windows is useful in some cases, but it is useless more often than not. It seems (from posts here) that people misunderstood Nautilus tab paradigm, it works in similar fashion to the browser tab way that people are familiar with, and that is good move IMO. The obvious advantage of tabs is that you have whole working space per tab, while with spliting the window, you are limited to the specific number depending on what you are doing. It is much easier to simply middle click on folder to open it in a new tab compared to bothering to split multiple windows, by middle click (browser type) on multiple folders, you have multiple tabs named by name of the folder, manipulation of files with "drag and drop" technique is as simple as with slit-windows, just drag folder to specific tab, you don't even need to wait arbitrary time to open that tab, you can just drop it on tab and it will be moved/copied.

So yeah, the only thing missing is "closing tab with middle click", so Gnome team should do that also (it is annoying to chase X on every tab when a lot of them is opened).

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post
                tomtomme Split windows is useful in some cases, but it is useless more often than not. It seems (from posts here) that people misunderstood Nautilus tab paradigm, it works in similar fashion to the browser tab way that people are familiar with, and that is good move IMO. The obvious advantage of tabs is that you have whole working space per tab, while with spliting the window, you are limited to the specific number depending on what you are doing. It is much easier to simply middle click on folder to open it in a new tab compared to bothering to split multiple windows, by middle click (browser type) on multiple folders, you have multiple tabs named by name of the folder, manipulation of files with "drag and drop" technique is as simple as with slit-windows, just drag folder to specific tab, you don't even need to wait arbitrary time to open that tab, you can just drop it on tab and it will be moved/copied.

So yeah, the only thing missing is "closing tab with middle click", so Gnome team should do that also (it is annoying to chase X on every tab when a lot of them is opened).
                I'm a developer and I often have to compare folders and examine side by side. I could never get into NC/MC, but by file manager of choice is still Krusader. Because I'm used to split view, that's what I need. Dolphin isn't a slit view file manager by default, but it can be configured as such if you need to. Now, how do you navigate from your home folder to / using Nautilus?

And yes, when a significant number of people don't get a new paradigm, it's a clear sign there's something wrong with it.

Comment

bug77 You can use two windows in Nautilus or split window in other file managers, but I had to do exactly that (comparing folders) about year ago or so, however, two windows or split-window was way too slow and inefficent to do that (in my case), so I've used terminal bash commands to "auto-compare" them, and in some cases even file content and log it to the output file(s), so for what I would be wasting hours by split method, it was done in few seconds. That being said, there are legitimate use cases for two windows or split windows, but choice between those two becomes irrelevant in most cases, so two windows would work perfectly fine most of the time.

Now, how do you navigate from your home folder to / using Nautilus?
                  I don't, and most of teh time people don't need to do that without root permissions. However, for perma-mounted devices used on regular basis, bookmark location (usually media, or where you mount them) and done.

Well, It is not significant number, it comes "natural", browsers did not do anything wrong, in fact, file managers developers are learning from browser developers, because, to the extent, tehy serve same/similar function. Having on mind that browsers are most used applications in overwhelming majority of cases, it only makes sense to apply same/similar technoque for other applications that do same/similar things. After all, browsers help browse/manipulate "web pages" type of locations, while file managers help user to browse/manipulate directories and files, so they are basically doing same function.

Comment

Make you a favor a try DoubleCommander. Split and tabs... To compare folders is a breeze and complete (by content, ignore dates, etc)

Comment

bug77 You can use two windows in Nautilus or split window in other file managers, but I had to do exactly that (comparing folders) about year ago or so, however, two windows or split-window was way too slow and inefficent to do that (in my case), so I've used terminal bash commands to "auto-compare" them, and in some cases even file content and log it to the output file(s), so for what I would be wasting hours by split method, it was done in few seconds. That being said, there are legitimate use cases for two windows or split windows, but choice between those two becomes irrelevant in most cases, so two windows would work perfectly fine most of the time.
                      Well, of course this is a job for meld of kdiff3. But sometimes you just need a quick look, you don't need to involve an additional tool.

bug77I don't, and most of teh time people don't need to do that without root permissions. However, for perma-mounted devices used on regular basis, bookmark location (usually media, or where you mount them) and done.
                      They do. Most of the configuration, for example is under /etc and readable by anyone.
                      Basically, for quick access to / I need a bookmark. Because adding a button like everybody else is too messy for Nautilus. What can I say, I'm a programmer and this is literally the worst habit a programmer can pick up: make things easy for themselves at the expense of the user.

bug77Well, It is not significant number, it comes "natural", browsers did not do anything wrong, in fact, file managers developers are learning from browser developers, because, to the extent, tehy serve same/similar function. Having on mind that browsers are most used applications in overwhelming majority of cases, it only makes sense to apply same/similar technoque for other applications that do same/similar things. After all, browsers help browse/manipulate "web pages" type of locations, while file managers help user to browse/manipulate directories and files, so they are basically doing same function.
                      This is both opinionated and missing my point, so I won't comment further.

Comment

Working...
                      X