A Look At The New Features Of GNOME 3.26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    When you continue calling people idiots that proves that gnome3 is developed by retarded people for retarded people.
    Oh, don't be butthurt. We all have our idiotic moments and can act retarded. Nobody is perfect. You think I've never copied files around? Sure I did. And what did I do in the end? I deleted them, because I ended up with unused or outdated copies. Eventually did I pick up on zero-copying policies as I became more aware of it due to my work as a software engineer. I've learned how to work more efficiently and without creating dupes. It's a learning process.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
      Oh, bullshit - Gnome has never been designed to run on mobile phones. Shell *is* designed to be compatible with touch-screens, but that's mostly in the context of laptops, not small-screen devices. You only need to look at it to see that - it's all designed for regular desktop use cases, multiple windows with regular window management functions, etc... there's little attempt to optimise for low-res or physically small screens, not a lot of full-screen apps, etc.
      No. Gnome3 sure had a lot of haters at start and they are still around. But nevertheless was it initially targeted to work with small devices and to create a new paradigm on the desktop. Only over time were older design elements copied over and integrated into Gnome3, which is an ongoing process. Sorry if you're still carrying a rage in you. It did get a lot of people mad and upset. A lot of it came from a bunch of kids who only didn't get their desired Christmas present from Santa. I still think it's good what they did in challenging the design of desktops. It's a comfort to have an environment, which works more or less identical on small devices as it does on large screens.

Comment

Ubuntu's wet dream of a mobile DE became real.
        A few more releases and we finally got the ultimate Android experience (TM) on Gnome.

1. App launcher is there
        2. A lot of feature/useless apps are already there
        3. Apps can only be opened or closed
        4. Trays are not welcomed
        5. Everything is dumbed down

So what's missing?
        I guess it's fullscreen apps with disabled tiling

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
          ? how can you avoid that?
          Start by paying attention to the amount of times you delete files. How did the file got there in the first place? When did the file become unnecessary? And so on. Once you figure it out will you be able to reduce the number of dupes and deletions. Chances are you'll never needed to have a duplicate in the first place. Most software you're using makes duplicates on its own or it has built-in undo and recovery functions. Also backup software isn't just good against hardware failures, but it's also useful when you've lost a file by your own doing.

Also dupes causes bloat for the infrastructure. They fill up shared file systems, backups and networks. I know, but some people just love to copy entire directories just for the extra warm and fuzzy feeling, while the rest of the office complaints about the slow network... Don't do it.
          Last edited by sdack; 11 September 2017, 04:28 AM.

Comment

First of all I don't copy files around often or better said move? causo copy is really the more seldom operation, I guess if you use usb-sticks copy makes more sense else you likely never want to have more than 1 copy except in the automatic backup. So copy makes seldom sense.

But I can see that people use move more often I guess. So whatever even if it would be retarded you search for it so I used for some time cause I did not want to use the whole gnome ecosystem on a tiling wm PCmanFM which supports dualpane its gtk and supports gvfs which is importent for a gnome file manager, if you don't want to fight gnome to much:

But there are others the most shiny seems to be SpaceFM (which is a fork of pcmanfm:

it has btw advanced renaming functionaly which you requested too.

And then there is XFE

so there are options, its not preinstalled by default, but who cares, do you play in windowns only minesweeper? Amarok is also not preinstalled in normal core kde, its a seperate qt app as far as I know, still you used that as example. I am shure there are also gnome/gtk music programs that fits your needs or use amarok under gnome nobody stops you from doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
              Ubuntu's wet dream of a mobile DE became real.
              A few more releases and we finally got the ultimate Android experience (TM) on Gnome.

1. App launcher is there
              2. A lot of feature/useless apps are already there
              3. Apps can only be opened or closed
              4. Trays are not welcomed
              5. Everything is dumbed down

So what's missing?
              I guess it's fullscreen apps with disabled tiling
              I think people kinda missed the point. Gnome3 is a bit more capable Chromebook. You use it to start a browser.

​​​​​Basically I'd split it like this: gnome is for content consumption, kde is for content production.

Comment

Maybe when you compare Gnome 3.26 to its previous release it's an improvement. In comparison to KDE it's years behind in nearly everything.

Comment

I've yet to meet someone who is using KDE. I always feel like, it's mostly used by eastern europe and/or russians. Maybe you just accept, that people have different preferences. I tried like 6 or 7 desktops on my PRODUCTION-SYSTEM just to figure out, what fits me best. It's nice to have choice. It would surely suck (for me), to only have KDE as a choice.

Comment

I am Gnome user since version 1.4 and I am pretty happy with Gnome 3.24 without any extensions. I even really like default ALT-TAB behavior.

Of course I use another window manager/desktops as well (Awesome is Awesome!) but it seems that I just like Gnome most.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                      Gnome3 sure had a lot of haters at start and they are still around.
                      Gnome did nothing wrong, it is these damn people who don't know how to use a computer.

Only over time were older design elements copied over and integrated into Gnome3, which is an ongoing process.
                      Yes, very complicated things like font preferences, sane alt+tab behaviour, or an icon tray area, such advanced functionality has to be invented from scratch and that takes time.

Sorry if you're still carrying a rage in you. It did get a lot of people mad and upset.
                      Why negative opinions have to be always equated with "rage" and "hate"? Why can't people accept criticism of a piece of work? It doesn't mean anything bad against the person, other than people dislike "the product". And lots of people disliked Gnome 3, does it mean we're all raging lunatic monsters filled with hate? According to some special flakes at Gnome yes.

A lot of it came from a bunch of kids who only didn't get their desired Christmas present from Santa. I still think it's good what they did in challenging the design of desktops. It's a comfort to have an environment, which works more or less identical on small devices as it does on large screens.
                      No it wasn't a bunch of kids, it was mainly pros, the kids ran back to windows to play games, the rest of us were stuck with literally puke forced down our throats for years. And when we said we didn't like it and offered suggestions we were labeled "haters".

Suggestions by anybody not part of the Gnome team were ignored resisted and mocked by the Gnome team who always knows best, Gnome does nothing wrong.

I understood from the beginning what they were trying to do and I believe they genuinely tried to push the desktop further. They were naive (I want to believe that) and in the process they inadvertently screwed the Linux desktop ecosystem in the process to such an extent that they forced people to re-create GTK2 on top of GTK3.

All I can say is thanks god for XFCE and MATE.

I want to end in a positive note, I do not hate Gnome, and 7 fucking years later GTK3 is in great shape, Gnome shell while still a pile of half chewed vomit does not crash every 5 minutes and offers sufficient functionality now to satisfactory manage multiple terminals on a screen without me wanting to commit suicide.

I hope the Gnome 3 team keep on the current track and keep slowly but steady returning to sane paradigms in both API and Shell behavior, I really wish they finally produce a stable API for extensions, and try to keep out of the mentality that they should dictate how 3rd party apps should behave. I'm talking about the "It is a Gnome 3" application or not a "Gnome 3" application type of mentality.

So yeah, keep the good work gnome, you're finally in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
                      X