A Look At The New Features Of GNOME 3.26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Gnome's philosophy is already proven wrong. 100% of all gnome users -need- numerous extensions. Gnome's out of box paradigm works for zero people.
    I -need- numerous extensions for both Firefox and Chrome. So, does that mean that Mozilla's and Google's out of box paradigm works for zero people?

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

You know, they have this cool desktop feature called "having multiple windows open".... it's been around a few years now. What's the advantage in having one file manager window with two tiled sub-windows, instead of just having two top-level windows?
      The advantage? You know you really should try out dolphin one day. The advantage over tabs or 2 windows is space and speed, less clicks, overview, less clutter. The split view is almost always open for me. It is so essential for me that I also could not go back to windows explorer. I know that may sound rediculous cause its only one feature that seems small, but believe me - it is not. Besides the two clipboards (middle mouse button) this was the feature that originally made me a windows to linux convert.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Click (or crtl-click or alt-click) to select files, ctrl-c and then move the mouse and click to reach the destination, ctrl-v, close the file manager or move on to the next batch.
        I know I brouth in the drag'n'drop in the discussion. It was just an example. most of the times I also do ctrl-c -v -x. But this has nothing to do with having a split view or not. Does it?
        Split view is only about seeing more at the same time and using the horizontal space effectively.

Comment

Yeah, like the fact that I cannot access my windows unless I click on a "show all windows" button (or I install an extension to show them on the bar), or the very large "switches" used by settings, or the fact that the "start menu" pulls up a friggin Android-like App drawer with huge application icons.
          The last thing is freakin useful! Try it! In the beginning I did not believe that too!
          No more awkward navigation through small menus to reach my app starting icon. I use it all the time cause its faster and uses my screen real estate better. I use it on KDE by the way. KDE these days has 3 alternative "start menus". And one is like gnome's/android's. On kde you can even controll the size of the icons.

Such choice and enabling me to configure things how I want - thats what makes kde still great despite less stability, non ideal hdpi, unfinished wayland, clutter and less polish in general.

Comment

How so? If you're using a split-screen file manager, you're going to click a button or use a keyboard shortcut to split the window,
            No, you can have that as default. just try it!
            then navigate to the two folders you want to work with. Under Nautilus, you're going to click a button or use a keyboard shortcut to duplicate the current window, then navigate to the two folders you want to work with. The number of steps, and the amount of time, is identical.
            Problem then is you need more space, you have to ignore clutter (2 side panes) and you have a longer way. Does not sound like much, but when you once experience it, its hard to go back.

Comment

If by "numerous", you mean "one". The only Shell feature that bothers me enough to change it is the default Alt-Tab behaviour, which I agree is just too aggravating to put up with.
              If you mean the AlternateTab extension, you may not even need that. You can get mostly the same behaviour by setting Alt+Tab for the "Switch windows" keyboard shortcut instead of the "Switch applications" one.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post

Nah. The philosophy is proven 100%. No API proves 100% flexibility for extension developers. Session support proves all downstream can tailor desktops.
                Yes, 100% wrong. Gnome also likes to break stuff which is lame and childish. It seems they have no vision, but making everything blindly.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
                  I know you're trolling, I want you to know that what you're doing is boring, please prove you're clever with your efforts, and write something funnier that entertain us, what you write comes up as sad and very, very boring.

As for the desktop, I'm glad that we have many desktops, and we're not forced to use the pile of half-chew vomit that is Gnome 3, it managed something not many graphical environments have ever even gotten close to, it is worse than Finder on MacOS.
                  No, you don't know I'm trolling. I'd say you rather know very little. Just because you've never learned to apply zero-copying policies and probably never heard of such a thing before doesn't mean that people who apply them and work more efficiently are all trolls. You're just an idiot.

Comment

You'd be amazed to see the amount of copy-paste work in most real life offices.
                    People even send emails with attached stuff instead of just using the goddamn shared folder.

Although it's rarely done with split screens. People use 2 file manager windows when they drag and drop.
                    Thank you, but I'm aware of it. Even programmers don't always work efficiently. I've seen people use copy'n'paste in C++ and how they copied entire classes where they should be using inheritance instead. It's human nature to be lazy, but we don't need to give further support to it. You just have to let the idiots do their thing.
                    Last edited by sdack; 11 September 2017, 04:34 AM.

Comment

I don't know what businness that is, but I don't see how you can avoid copying and moving files around unless you are a cold heartless machine that never makes mistakes nor needs to re-order their virtual desk(top) or virtual closet (data drives or backups).
                      I suggest you read into zero-copying algorithms, strategies and make it a policy. You'll find yourself working more efficiently when you learn to avoid duplicating files.

This doesn't mean there is no data duplication going on, which I believe is partly the reason why some here loose their marbles over my comments. There is in fact a lot of it happening all the time. But these happen briefly and invisible to the user, i.e. when Office makes a working copy of a file for you. And of course your backup will have copies of your files, too. You only don't need to create additional copies, but you are rather wasting your time and don't use the existing infra structure right or just aren't aware of how it works. I'm sure many people duplicate files simply out of fear they might be doing something wrong and because they don't know any better.
                      Last edited by sdack; 11 September 2017, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X