A Look At The New Features Of GNOME 3.26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Except for 100% of its userbase that need extensions to make it sorta work for them. (which btw is highly likely to get broken at the next release. (which most likely was on purpose and even bragged about by the devs who did it.))
    And as I said, the only critical extension is the one that fixes Alt-Tab... and that's actually shipped by Gnome, so it doesn't tend to break between releases. And yes, it *should* be default behaviour, because I don't think anyone likes the actual default – but running one single extension (that doesn't keep breaking) isn't the end of the world.

Comment

Ah, Children. Nothing like an article on window managers to bring out the "my dog's better than your dog" debates.

Comment

Well, I guess I just need to chalk this up to different worldviews then.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          At the end of the day more advanced gnome users are tweaking gnome3 to look like traditional desktops, so this article is just nationalistic and religious hype.
          See my comment, 2 above yours. And you're making less sense than normal, by the way. Rough weekend?

Comment

As someone who moves files on a regular basis, in the DOS era I found a wonderful program called Norton Commander and never looked back. When Explorer-like GUIs became a thing, luckily for me commander-like programs appeared for GUI too (I couldn't stress enough how much I don't like working with explorer-like file managers, multiple panes or not). Total Commander was my main tool back in the windows days, now it is excellent Double Commander - two panes, multiple tabs, everything at my disposal via keyboard, no mis-clicks or anything, almost perfect tool if you are not too dependant on mouse to do file operations (you can, of course, do everything with mouse too, if you want, but it is much more "precise" with keyboard, at least for me). So, Nautilus/Thunar/Dolphin/etc are something I use just until I install DC

Comment

Originally posted by Darakus View Post
              With Shotwell I would say

In Nautilus I typically move files by cut and paste, but if you prefer to drag and drop, you could always open a new Nautilus window and drag and drop between them. I don't have any local music files so I can't really say the best way to manage those, although I think Rhythmbox is more full featured than GNOME Music.

Again I don't really know for music files, but Nautilus has supported batch rename since 3.22. (just select multiple files and right click > rename)
              Good to know that there is something like gwenview with shotwell.
              Opening another nautilus is not a practical option for me cause it would occupy much more space than a split view.
              I tried rythmbox and there is too much functionality missing for me compared to amarok. And I am not even completely satisfied with amarok anymore. Could be faster and better maintained.
              For batch renaming I meant something more sophisticated than 1 2 3 or every file same name. I think of naming by exif data like date for photos etc.

However, thanks for the useful reply!

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                I'm afraid, but your problem is your own doing. You are expecting for one desktop to become exactly like another, which is just very unlikely going to happen. Instead, when you truly want to use a different desktop even just for a short time do you need to change your habits, too, or you will definitely have problems.
                Not really. I specifically described the for me missing functionality. If there was a nautilus, split-view, amarok and a thing like krename on gnome I could already switch. The rest of gnome would be fine. I like most of the other things gnome can do, like wayland, stability (hello crashing plasma and kwin), design philosophy, heavy support by the big linux investors, and seemless integration of the other gtk apps I use.

One can certainly drag'n'drop files with Nautilus and you don't even need to split a window in half. You can drag'n'drop from the main pane into the side pane and thus into a different directory for example. This does not require to split a window or to open a new one. But for more complex drag'n'drop can one open as many windows as necessary and perform drag'n'drop between them. In that sense is Nautilus already split when used with it's side pane, but can be split into N windows, too. So you aren't limited.
                Thanks for the hints.
                However I knew those already. drag'n'drop from the main pane into the side pane is not practical for me because most of the time it involves much vertical scrolling while my displays are 16:9, thus horizontal dragndrop is usually faster. And imho multiple windows occupy too much space cause the side pane is duplicated.

Comment

No. If you've been long enough in the business will you've learned how to avoid coping and moving files around, because it's just inefficient and a waste of time. Anyone needing advanced capabilities for this will simply have a developed a bad habit of being very inefficient with files.
                  ? how can you avoid that?

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
                    Ah, Children. Nothing like an article on window managers to bring out the "my dog's better than your dog" debates.
                    I pretty much only read these comments threads just to be bemused by the crap fights. I'm sure there's probably a forum for toilets somewhere on the internets where people manage to fight over who's crapping device is better than the other. People will fight over anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

So just open two windows? Or open two tabs? It's not like the absence of a split-pane view makes it impossible (or even difficult) to move stuff between two folders...
                      yeah thanks. I did not know that nautilus can do tabs now. However for me they are not that practical because you they are slower to deal with and can not be seen at the same time. For multiple windows - I replied to that above.

Comment

Working...
                      X