A Look At The New Features Of GNOME 3.26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Wrong, advanced users don't usually drag-and-drop as it has crap accuracy, so double-screen filemanagers don't get much traction.
    Advanced users use either keyboard shortcuts (ctrl-c ctrl-v) or for large amounts of files they rightclick to open file transfer programs (this on windows mostly)
    I think you're confusing paradigms there.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
      But every time I opened nautilus I saw I coud not split the window in 2 halfs for easy drag and drop stuff, so I went back to kde.
      So just open two windows? Or open two tabs? It's not like the absence of a split-pane view makes it impossible (or even difficult) to move stuff between two folders...

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
        No. If you've been long enough in the business will you've learned how to avoid coping and moving files around, because it's just inefficient and a waste of time. Anyone needing advanced capabilities for this will simply have a developed a bad habit of being very inefficient with files.
        I don't know what businness that is, but I don't see how you can avoid copying and moving files around unless you are a cold heartless machine that never makes mistakes nor needs to re-order their virtual desk(top) or virtual closet (data drives or backups).

Comment

I'm guessing you've never worked in a large team before. You don't copy lots of files around. You use version control and you compartmentalise your file system structure. What you don't want is to have thousands of people who are moving files criss-cross directories in split screens. *lol*
          You'd be amazed to see the amount of copy-paste work in most real life offices.
          People even send emails with attached stuff instead of just using the goddamn shared folder.

Although it's rarely done with split screens. People use 2 file manager windows when they drag and drop.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            EDIT: Gnome's philosophy is already proven wrong. 100% of all gnome users -need- numerous extensions.
            If by "numerous", you mean "one". The only Shell feature that bothers me enough to change it is the default Alt-Tab behaviour, which I agree is just too aggravating to put up with. Everything else is fine...

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

So just open two windows? Or open two tabs? It's not like the absence of a split-pane view makes it impossible (or even difficult) to move stuff between two folders...
              No, just more mouse movements and clicks. Probably talking seconds or even milliseconds, but why exactly should people have to do more for less?

EDIT: I already know why, that's Gnomes entire philosophy boiled down to a question.
              Last edited by duby229; 10 September 2017, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Anybody needing more advanced capability will opt for a split screen as soon as they actually try one.
                You know, they have this cool desktop feature called "having multiple windows open".... it's been around a few years now. What's the advantage in having one file manager window with two tiled sub-windows, instead of just having two top-level windows?

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

You know, they have this cool desktop feature called "having multiple windows open".... it's been around a few years now. What's the advantage in having one file manager window with two tiled sub-windows, instead of just having two top-level windows?
                  That's a good question and one worth asking a Tiled WM user.

Comment

I think you're confusing paradigms there.
                    I don't care of paradigms, I say what is most efficient, because that's what advanced users do. If I have to move files around very often, I don't want to risk that a mis-release during a drag-and-drop operation fucks up my target.

Click (or crtl-click or alt-click) to select files, ctrl-c and then move the mouse and click to reach the destination, ctrl-v, close the file manager or move on to the next batch.

Dual-pane makes sense only if you don't have a mouse and you are stuck with only a keyboard and a rudimentary ncurses-like GUI.

Comment

It wasn't wasting any before. It was designed to be used on the small screens of mobile phones.
                      Oh, bullshit - Gnome has never been designed to run on mobile phones. Shell *is* designed to be compatible with touch-screens, but that's mostly in the context of laptops, not small-screen devices. You only need to look at it to see that - it's all designed for regular desktop use cases, multiple windows with regular window management functions, etc... there's little attempt to optimise for low-res or physically small screens, not a lot of full-screen apps, etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X