Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLC Has Begun Working On Some 3D Video Playback Support

Phoronix: VLC Has Begun Working On Some 3D Video Playback Support

It's been a while since last having anything to report on with VLC with the VLC 3.0 release still not available, but thanks to this year's Google Summer of Code, there was an interesting project around working on 3D format support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is great! Hopefully this will mean we can play 3D Blu-ray rips natively.

Comment

Finally - I've been waiting for a 3D video player for Linux for over a year.

Comment

Yay! we can all enjoy eye-burn-out and headaches free!

Comment

Eh, I'd rather have proper Blu-ray support to begin with. But I guess different people work on different modules.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            Yay! we can all enjoy eye-burn-out and headaches free!
            Use active 3D glasses (the ones with electronics onboard that switch on and off the crystals in the lenses to cover one eye and then the other), not the passive ones (the ones using polarized lenses).

Comment

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post
              Eh, I'd rather have proper Blu-ray support to begin with. But I guess different people work on different modules.
              DRM is a big issue for bluray support in opensource programs.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Use active 3D glasses (the ones with electronics onboard that switch on and off the crystals in the lenses to cover one eye and then the other), not the passive ones (the ones using polarized lenses).
                No thanks. I've seen actual 3d projections before. Dimensionally projected into the air, it was awesome. Color saturation sucked, but it was natural to look at and felt right with no equipment on my face.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  No thanks. I've seen actual 3d projections before. Dimensionally projected into the air, it was awesome. Color saturation sucked, but it was natural to look at and felt right with no equipment on my face.
                  I just wanted to point out that "eye burn out" and "headaches" happen only with passive 3D glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    DRM is a big issue for bluray support in opensource programs.
                    It is indeed. Can't wait for version 3.0, which will supposedly have menus!

Comment

Working...
                    X