No announcement yet.

Is Fedora's KDE Spin Too Bloated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Millions and millions of LOC inside GNOME... That's because they rewrote the code over and over again because the first 3 implementations (of anything written) ended up in a dead end!

The guy that spotted the differences is right! KDE 3 was working much better than GNOME 2 back in that time...

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness
      Too bloated: Yes (nobody needs 3 web browsers by default). Still one of the better KDE distributions
      ... looking at the three browsers on my phone and the three browsers on my laptop and the three browsers on my tablet rather sheepishly...

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

... looking at the three browsers on my phone and the three browsers on my laptop and the three browsers on my tablet rather sheepishly...
        Disk space is cheap and we really should find new ways to use the extra resources. Phones offer a great example. When the mobile networks exceeded the speed of streaming mp3s and h264, the constant improvements in eMMC disk space density became a legacy non-issue. It's just good that distributions require more space rather than less.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnsterp View Post
          Last time I used fedora kde was a couple of years ago. I left in disgust. They did not even have a working gui package manager. There were two different ones installed, and neither of them actually worked. Couple that with the constant bickering between the fedora kde maintainers and the rest of the fedora community (which for some reason could not understand why the kde ppl felt like they were being treated like second class citizens). That was reason enough for me to look elsewhere.

But bloated? Bloated is a funny word. Does bloated really mean too many applications installed by default? I know that back then, fedora kde was faster than kubuntu. I am willing to bet it still is.
          Speaking of bloat in the context of KDE is funny when probably everyone agrees that KDE is the largest desktop environment when is comes to resource use. It's the flagship distribution which takes the everything but the kitchen sink approach.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Speaking of bloat in the context of KDE is funny when probably everyone agrees that KDE is the largest desktop environment when is comes to resource use. It's the flagship distribution which takes the everything but the kitchen sink approach.
            And if you're running on anything more capable than a Raspberry Pi, that's awesome. The extensive choice and configurability (without a couple of dozen periodically incompatible extensions) is what we like about KDE.

Comment

They plan every imaginable aspect into their software, not always knowing if it's being needed or going to be used, and yet did they not plan for the bloat it causes, while it's one of the most predictable problems from the start. Why only now ask the question?

The better question to ask might be, what does it matter at this point? If they like doing what they're doing then they shouldn't stop with it. But if it really is a problem to them, then they'll have to change quite a bit and also how they do things, or it'll just come back to bite them.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post
                Web developers do need them. And anybody else, nobody need to install this.
                Web developers need Firefox, Chrome/ium and Edge/IE.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  I think last tests have shown that KDE has the same footprint of the Standard Linux Desktop when it is not configured like crap.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
                    A more important question to ask is whether the kde stack can be justified at all?

The kde experience can be remade on the generic stack from GNOME.
                    To recreate the KDE experience you'd need to add a buttload of setting panels, and have a working SSD system.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
                      A more important question to ask is whether the kde stack can be justified at all?
                      The most important question to ask is whether your existence (on Phoronix) can be justified at all.
                      Note: Derailing threads and turning them into desktop holy wars is not justification. Quite the opposite...

Comment

Working...
                      X