Chromium Now Supports GPU Sandboxing With Radeon Graphics On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chromium Now Supports GPU Sandboxing With Radeon Graphics On Linux

Phoronix: Chromium Now Supports GPU Sandboxing With Radeon Graphics On Linux

Chrome/Chromium supports GPU sandboxing for security purposes and now it will work fine with the AMD graphics on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good news. I believe AMD just released new A-series APU that are unfortunately not based on zen/vega. The Lenovo pro A275 and A475.

Comment

Sign me up, I would buy a Zen/Vega Chromebook for sure. Still using my Dell 13" Chromebook running Fedora as my daily laptop, it has an i3 which isn't too shabby, but a Zen/Vega model would be awesome.

Comment

Why is this even being worked on? Do miners use Chromium in mining farms? It's not like AMD sells GPUs for anyone else these days.

Comment

Does it mean that Windows AMD driver is not multithreaded? UPD: more over, it probably means that none of Windows drivers are multithreaded, otherwise the problem would've been solved long ago. But NVidia ones sure should be, don't they?
          Last edited by Hi-Angel; 08 September 2017, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
            Why is this even being worked on? Do miners use Chromium in mining farms? It's not like AMD sells GPUs for anyone else these days.
            What I don't get about the popular meme about AMD GPU shortages is that Nvidia cards are only in stock because they are intentionally crippling their chips to make them crap at GPGPU so consumers that want those features buy ludicrously overpriced Quadro cards.

So since AMD isn't artificially crippling the desktop GPUs it manufactures post-patterning out it makes them the bad guy because unsurprisingly when one company is sabotaging their own silicon the one that isn't is the preferred choice for GPGPU on a budget.

There was a sudden and unpredicted spike in GPU demand this year. It takes an extremely long time to allocate fab lines to meet increased demand like this. And AMD isn't even making much money from the mess - they are probably panicking internally, because they are losing potential repeat gaming GPU customers who may be lost forever to Nvidia now (because those gamers cannot buy, at least at reasonable prices, any of their stuff) just for mining customers that will have no brand loyalty and offload their cards on the whims of what a market deems some piece of software is worth.

And they aren't even profiting that much from the shortage - they are still selling to resellers at contracted rates negotiated before their cards were even released, which were still below the public MSRP, and now there are hundreds of dollars per sale flowing into companies that have nothing to do with the supply of GPUs and were budgeting for 5-10% margins per sale rather than 50%+.
            Last edited by zanny; 09 September 2017, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              Why is this even being worked on?
              Laptops, and Chrome/ium uses hardware acceleration on GPU, at least on Windows and ChromeOS.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                What I don't get about the popular meme about AMD GPU shortages is that Nvidia cards are only in stock because they are intentionally crippling their chips to make them crap at GPGPU so consumers that want those features buy ludicrously overpriced Qaudro cards.
                Quite frankly, I'm seriously starting to see the value of this strategy and I would not be so upset if next gens of AMD GPUs do a similar trick.

The current situation is ridiculous, fuck miners.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

The Internet tells that ethereum mining does have a very little connection to the real world. Monetary systems do not accept mined currencies. So miners are living in fantasies. Each person could invent their own virtual money and write a simple script that produces it.
                  You can actually buy things with Bitcoin. People using Etherium to buy stuff are just converting it to Bitcoin. Maybe do 5 minutes of research into what a block chain is....

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

The Internet tells that ethereum mining does have a very little connection to the real world. Monetary systems do not accept mined currencies. So miners are living in fantasies. Each person could invent their own virtual money and write a simple script that produces it.
                    From the genius that brought us:

"Use GStreamer instead of PulseAudio", "Rust is a slow toy language" and "4G is the most secure way to connect to the internet. It doesn't allow sniffing".

Comment

Working...
                    X