Chromium Now Supports GPU Sandboxing With Radeon Graphics On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium

me and my brother we bought a threadripper system with RX vega 64 cards three days ago for 3000+euro just for ethereum mining...

LOL.... Fuck you to... non-minder idiot.
    Curious.

How do you plan on recuperating that cost? Is electricity that inexpensive where you're at?
    I reside in western Europe and couldn't even imagine doing that. Last time I ran my regular Hackintosh 24/7, my electricity bill went up by 500 euros for the year.

Comment

me and my brother we bought a threadripper system with RX vega 64 cards three days ago for 3000+euro just for ethereum mining...

LOL.... Fuck you to... non-minder idiot.
      FYI: When you make lives more miserable to everyone else to get rich (or at least try), then people have the goddamn right to say"fuck you", and you have the goddamn duty to apologize, or at least stfu.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
        How do you plan on recuperating that cost? Is electricity that inexpensive where you're at?
        I reside in western Europe and couldn't even imagine doing that. Last time I ran my regular Hackintosh 24/7, my electricity bill went up by 500 euros for the year.
        He said he has solar panels and claims to be more or less self-sufficient.

That said, mining cryptocurrencies can be significantly profitable if you get in soon enough and choose the right one.

1 Ethereum "coin" was worth 10$ in May, now it's at around 300$. Factor that the miners at the beginning are not that much, so mining coins is faster.

Point is Ethereum has already peaked and is now in the stabilization phase, so mining Ethereum is probably not that much profitable now, and miners are starting to get phased out by mining companies that can simply rackmount hundreds of GPUs everywhere (same as companies phased out miners for Bitcoins some years ago).

So the best bet is to go on a lesser (but interesting) cryptocurrency and hope it gets more used and does the price spike.

This is basically pure financial speculation, with no moral values whatsoever, that happens to use consumer GPUs and won't switch to ASIC (like it happened to Bitcoin) because the algorithm is designed to not work well on ASICs.
        Last edited by starshipeleven; 09 September 2017, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          This is basically pure financial speculation, with no moral values whatsoever, that happens to use consumer GPUs and won't switch to ASIC (like it happened to Bitcoin) because the algorithm is designed to not work well on ASICs.
          Well obviously someone could design an ASIC that uses scrypt or whatever Ethereum uses, but the efficiency jump (electricity/opex) or the capex (circuit area) reduction per GH/s, compared to generic GPUs, will not be as significant as for SHA256 (+20% instead of 20x, to pull numbers out of my ass), so designing and manufacturing one probably isn't profitable.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
            Well obviously someone could design an ASIC that uses scrypt or whatever Ethereum uses, but the efficiency jump (electricity/opex) or the capex (circuit area) reduction per GH/s, compared to generic GPUs, will not be as significant as for SHA256 (+20% instead of 20x, to pull numbers out of my ass), so designing and manufacturing one probably isn't profitable.
            Yes, correct. Their algorithm was designed to make mining its coins with ASICs unpractical. It has soemthing to do with large buffers required and less-specific calculation.

I mean none stops people from designing a 2-feet chair, it's just not a good idea at all.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
              Well obviously someone could design an ASIC that uses scrypt or whatever Ethereum uses,
              It's not scrypt. It something that require even more working memory (you basically need to have a sizeable chunk of the blockchain in working space).

At that point "an ASIC that can do it", is basically a big processor with lots of RAM and a fast bus - i.e.: a graphic cards (minus the video-out bits).

Currently, there are no economical reason to produce specifically different cards that keep nearly all of the components (RAM, chip, etc.) and just remove the only video out circuitry (again, that the main reason why Nvidia cripples their consumer hardware, so they can actually sell a separate line of cards which are basically exactly this).

So nobody is going to cater to these miner, until Ethereum mining gets so huge that suddenly making ethereum-specific mining hardware becomes relevant in number of units sold.

That's unlike bitcoin's SHA256 which is a pure processing algorithm and thus has no restriction beyond just doing the work to produce the hardware.
              (and a chip of silicon filled to the brim with single-purpose sha256 cores is always going to beat every other hardware).

That's a bit different but related to scrypt - litecoin's algo required some memory, and scrypt dedicated hardware was initially a bit better than GPUs but not by much, meaning that for a long time it wasn't worth trying to produce it - not much return for quite some work and "number of units sold" required to recoup cost.

Comment

fuck you to.... we have free markets this means the highest price bit gets the card. if miners pay higher prices than gamers then AMD has all the right to sell to miners instead.

people who do not unterstand free markets are poor mindet people.
                Are these the same free markets that tell people if they cannot afford 25 bucks for a few bottles of water they deserve to die?
                I second starshipeleven 's notion. If you believe that's ethical or even remotely good, fuck you indeed!

Comment

fuck you to.... we have free markets this means the highest price bit gets the card. if miners pay higher prices than gamers then AMD has all the right to sell to miners instead.
                  Free Market makes screwing other people less bad in what way?

Because I'm complaining about people getting screwed, not about free market.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Free Market makes screwing other people less bad in what way?

Because I'm complaining about people getting screwed, not about free market.
                    I think you're absolutely right. When the Irish potato famine was at it's worst Laissez faire ideologies made it so much worse. All those people needed was food, but they didn't get it because of so called free market.

EDIT:My personal opinion is that I think markets -need- to be manipulated. Of course there -are- moral implications involved with manipulating markets, but in exactly the same way, there -are- moral implications when markets are -not- manipulated. So it takes government regulation and sane enforceable laws.
                    Last edited by duby229; 10 September 2017, 08:01 AM.

Comment

you are already screwed by banks and stock market companies and both banks and stock market are the most evil stuff around us that most people can not even imagine how evil they really are.
                      It's just as evil to buy GPUs instead of ASICs and choose to mine Ethereum, just because there you still have some profit, and then try to shoehorn the "banks are bad, we are freedom fighters" bullshit to justify your actions.

In fact bitcon/ethereum/Blockchain is a technology to kill the banks and the stock markets this means the forces of "Good" will kill the forces of "BAD=Bank/stock market".

and to perform this kind of service to fuck the banks and stock market we need to run ethereum on graphic cards.
                      FYI: I know cryptocurrencies. Ethereum miners are in the same "BAD" category as bank/stock market. Because you're in it for the profit, nothing more.

Bitcoin and derivatives are already fighting The Good Battle without fucking up the GPU market (as its algorithm wasn't designed to run only on GPUs), only reason to choose Ethereum or anything else is because you want profit.

Forcing GPU-only Mining is not going to change the basic fact that company-based mining will out-compete and obsolete private small-scale miners just like happened in Bitcoin. The only difference is that consumer AMD GPU hardware availability will still be total crap for a long time, or they will have to cripple their GPUs too like NVIDIA does so they can ask a far higher price for their computing cards.
                      Last edited by starshipeleven; 10 September 2017, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X