Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FFmpeg's VP9 Decoder Is Much Faster Thanks To GSoC 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FFmpeg's VP9 Decoder Is Much Faster Thanks To GSoC 2017

    Phoronix: FFmpeg's VP9 Decoder Is Much Faster Thanks To GSoC 2017

    As we previously reported on, there was a Google Summer of Code project this year optimizing FFmpeg's VP9 decoder particularly around AVX2 instructions and threading. The project was a success and VP9 decoding should be much faster with FFmpeg as a result...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...P9-GSoC-Faster

  • #2
    When will it be implemented on linux distros ? AVX instructions are obligatory or also properly video cards can manage it?

    Comment


    • #3
      Wouldn't mind some faster encoding as well. Encoding with libvpx-vp9 is quite slow, and doesn't load my 8c16t Ryzen more than about 35%. It doesn't scale much beyond 4-6 cores. Perhaps a limitation of the VP9 specification? I dunno...

      Comment


      • #4
        Yeah but does it use VP9?
        Else someone is going to run a fuzzer against the decoder and find way to exploit it.
        Then encode a special VP9 with a exploit payload into a WebM file that they refer to on the web via the <video> element.

        Comment


        • #5
          Could these optimizations be (partially) applied to HEVC decoding?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Yeah but does it use VP9?
            Else someone is going to run a fuzzer against the decoder and find way to exploit it.
            Then encode a special VP9 with a exploit payload into a WebM file that they refer to on the web via the <video> element.
            Not sure I understand what you are saying here with "but does it use VP9?"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Not sure I understand what you are saying here with "but does it use VP9?"
              WebM is a video container format for the web which you can reference in HTML code using the <video> element tag.
              The WebM video container format can contain the VP9 codec.
              The VP9 decoder unless it uses Rust to make it safe could be exploitable if it has any bugs which could be found using a fuzzer then embedding a malicious payload in the VP9 data that the decoder chokes on.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                The VP9 decoder unless it uses Rust to make it safe could be exploitable if it has any bugs which could be found using a fuzzer then embedding a malicious payload in the VP9 data that the decoder chokes on.
                Ok, so in your other post you wanted to write "but does it use Rust?" in the first sentence.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Brisse View Post
                  Perhaps a limitation of the VP9 specification?
                  No, it's the crappiness of libvpx. It's a terrible encoder, both speed and quality-wise. There's a better encoder out there, Netflix uses it, however it's a commercial product: https://www.twoorioles.com/eve-for-vp9/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Is there going to be a PTS test for VP9 decode ?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X