GNOME Mutter 3.25.92 Adds Built-In Screencast / Remote Desktop Capabilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Mutter 3.25.92 Adds Built-In Screencast / Remote Desktop Capabilities

Phoronix: GNOME Mutter 3.25.92 Adds Built-In Screencast / Remote Desktop Capabilities

GNOME Mutter 3.25.92 has been released and it incorporates some interesting changes for the end of the GNOME 3.26 development cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    the Mutter compositor has introduced scrensharing support itself.

Comment

Does anyone know something about builtin miracast mirror support like in win10? Would be useful

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
        Does anyone know something about builtin miracast mirror support like in win10? Would be useful
        Afaik the Linux implementation of miracast is here.
        Connect external monitors to your system via Wifi-Display specification also known as Miracast - albfan/miraclecast

Requires a frontend, but nothing that can't be done with a shell script + zenity GTK for the graphical user interface.

Comment

It seems Mutter have worse window positioning on Wayland than on X11.

On X11 I get sane window positioning. Applications usually open in the same place as I closed em.
          On Wayland the window positioning is weird and often opens at some predefined position.

On X11 I can do WinKey+Left/Right and the window moves with a smooth animation.
          On Wayland the window just jumps without any animation.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

On X11 I get sane window positioning. Applications usually open in the same place as I closed em.
            On Wayland the window positioning is weird and often opens at some predefined position.

On Xorg applications can move their own windows around where on Wayland only the compositor can. Ideally GNOME starts saving the position I find it annoying too.

The animation thing is just a bug which I believe is known (haven't tested 3.26).

Comment

Curious.

I saw there's a Redshift implementation based on top of GnomeRR/Gnome Desktop Library.
              Can that one be used outside of Gnome3 or does the Gnome-Desktop library depend on the rest of the Gnome stack?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Afaik the Linux implementation of miracast is here.
                Connect external monitors to your system via Wifi-Display specification also known as Miracast - albfan/miraclecast

Requires a frontend, but nothing that can't be done with a shell script + zenity GTK for the graphical user interface.
                Yeah I've tried that, at various points. I had it able to connect and send some frames before crashing, with a previous laptop / wireless card. It doesn't work at all using my current laptop. Also, the requirement that you kill wpa_supplicant and networkmanager doesn't really fit in with the typical use-case where you'd need both of these to connect to corporate wireless. Apparently a guy @ Intel had something working, but wants to completely re-implement and relicense as BSD before making a public release. This was years ago, mind you. Luckily everything I want to display on still has an HDMI port ...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I think on Windows the UX rules are minimized window comes back to where it was while a (closed and) newly started window comes up at in the middle of the screen. Does Gnome behave different? (oh, right, they don't have minimizing windows so they need a different UX)

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

I think on Windows the UX rules are minimized window comes back to where it was while a (closed and) newly started window comes up at in the middle of the screen. Does Gnome behave different? (oh, right, they don't have minimizing windows so they need a different UX)
                    Actually, on Windows windows (heh!) come up exactly where you last closed them. It even conserves the display (when running on a multi-display setup).
                    Wayland doesn't even have a concept of absolute window positions, so things behave quite differently over there.

Comment

Working...
                    X