No announcement yet.

KDE System Settings UI Is Still Getting Overhauled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It also depends on services you are running. E.g. indexers were quite a pain, at least in the past. I don't use them, but according to reports situation has improved. I mainly use KDE and number 5 of "frameworks and programs and stuff" is fairly ok by now. It always need some time to ripen, sadly. But in general it's my favourite all-inclusive DE. On older and smaller machines (I do have some with 512 MiB RAM) I tend to use XFCE, Enlightenment or the likes.

I one wants really small footprint: twm. But it kinda hurts.

more on topic: Yes, searching by name was awesome, esp. if you knew there was some option somewhere but you weren't sure where it was "hidden".
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Up123 View Post
      Looks good so far, but are they switching to CSD?
      I don't think so, it's likely based on Qt Quick 2 Controls which doesn't seem to have "native" look and feel, instead you get the same UI style across platforms. Since KDE is in control of that style though with things like Kirigami that might not be a drawback, so they can just gain from the benefits. The window decorations still would be treated same as currently far as I know?

Oh I see the screenshot they've inlined the window controls instead of traditional decorations...No clue then if that's functional UI instead of concept graphic.
      Last edited by polarathene; 06 September 2017, 07:54 AM.

Comment

It seems pretty, I hope it will be also practical.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          It also depends on services you are running. E.g. indexers were quite a pain, at least in the past. I don't use them, but according to reports situation has improved. I mainly use KDE and number 5 of "frameworks and programs and stuff" is fairly ok by now. It always need some time to ripen, sadly. But in general it's my favourite all-inclusive DE. On older and smaller machines (I do have some with 512 MiB RAM) I tend to use XFCE, Enlightenment or the likes.

I one wants really small footprint: twm. But it kinda hurts.

more on topic: Yes, searching by name was awesome, esp. if you knew there was some option somewhere but you weren't sure where it was "hidden".
          I guess it depends on what one understands by "bloat". To me feature rich is not bloat. Bloat is when stuff is shoved down the user's throat, without an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Up123 View Post
            Looks good so far, but are they switching to CSD?
            I am pretty sure they are staying with server-side decorations.

Comment

I love the VDG mockups, but I've been burnt by the reality of those mockups never becoming real before. I'll believe it when I see it.
              We've been waiting 3 *years* for DWD (dynamic windows decorations).

Comment

Originally posted by MrRtd View Post

I am pretty sure they are staying with server-side decorations.
                They are developing a hybrid system between the two. Don't agree with is, but that is what they are doing.

Comment

Though I do like KDE's current settings UI over the one available about a year ago, this new one does seem a bit better. KDE's settings UI has been pretty awful for most of its history, so I'm glad this is taking a priority.

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
                  I don't get the obsession with vertical tabs. They are a total UX nightmare. That's just not how the human eye scans interfaces.
                  I prefer vertical tabs. Better use of all the screen space, and in the event there are paragraphs of text it helps force the text to wrap to new lines. There's a reason why 80 columns has been the standard for so long. Also, many languages (particularly Asian ones) write from top to bottom.

Vertical tabs are the best way to go for 1080p displays and larger. Too bad Chrome doesn't have any good extensions for that (Firefox does).
                  Last edited by schmidtbag; 06 September 2017, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

KDE is borked (not bloated) in Ubuntu. Kubuntu is ok, I use it all the time.
                    I was doing a quick test with the betas of Ubuntu 17.10 flavors, and Kubuntu now matches the Opensuse RAM consumption with Akonadi installed. Also Ubuntu (from a ISO a day later than the betas) started at ~500 MB, ~100 more than Kubuntu, but less than the 16.04, what is nice nonetheless.
                    Last edited by M@GOid; 06 September 2017, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Looks pretty good to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X