Mozilla Firefox Finally Fixes An Awkward, 11 Year Old Linux Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
    I'm surprised that nobody picked up this bug for more than a decade. The fix was trivial.
    Perhaps because it wasn't really a bug (thanks Michael for bringing Phoronix one step closer to tabloids), but a wrong default at worst?
    And keep in mind this is Linux-only.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Perhaps because it wasn't really a bug (thanks Michael for bringing Phoronix one step closer to tabloids), but a wrong default at worst?
      And keep in mind this is Linux-only.
      That it is technically just a poor default is just hand waving the issue. The behaviour that it creates appears buggy, and that's what really matters. I'm just surprised that neither the maintainers nor the complainers thought to submit a patch in all this time. It's a problem needing a cheap fix to provide significant usability benefits (even if only to a small number of people). That's the best kind of problem.

Comment

That it is technically just a poor default is just hand waving the issue. The behaviour that it creates appears buggy, and that's what really matters. I'm just surprised that neither the maintainers nor the complainers thought to submit a patch in all this time. It's a problem needing a cheap fix to provide significant usability benefits (even if only to a small number of people). That's the best kind of problem.
        I don't think lack of a patch was the problem here, but rather weighing in to see whether this annoyed enough users. Because you could have easily flipped this only to see the users accustomed to ctrl+clicking sharpening their pitchforks.

Comment

only 11 years?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I don't think lack of a patch was the problem here, but rather weighing in to see whether this annoyed enough users. Because you could have easily flipped this only to see the users accustomed to ctrl+clicking sharpening their pitchforks.
            Well they've been collecting telemetry for years. You only need a representative sample to make that decision. If it's particularly contentious you can do A/B testing (like with e10s), but that's more than overkill for something this small.

Comment

Well they've been collecting telemetry for years. You only need a representative sample to make that decision. If it's particularly contentious you can do A/B testing (like with e10s), but that's more than overkill for something this small.
              How does telemetry help in telling you how many users are annoyed by ctrl+click?

Comment

I just switched from FF to Pale Moon in anticipation of most of my addons breaking in FF57. I’ve been annoyed by FF GUI changes for years anyway. Pale Moon isn’t perfect out of the box but so far it’s pretty good, with a no-nonsense GUI. Regarding this specific issue I just enabled smooth scrolling.

Comment

I only middle-click to open in a new tab. I _never_ left click on a link (because i always want a new tab).

Ain't gonna miss this feature.

Comment

Somehow middlemouse.contentLoadURL is already set to false on Firefox 55 that is distributed in Ubuntu 16.04, and I didn't set it myself. In any case I never use middle mouse button anyway, mostly because I don't even remember that the scroll wheel behaves like a button if pressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sn3ipen View Post
                      I don't know if you are aware, but middle click is like a second clipboard on Linux.
                      it is actually first one. ctrl-c copies from first to second

Comment

Working...
                      X