Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Firefox Finally Fixes An Awkward, 11 Year Old Linux Bug

Phoronix: Mozilla Firefox Finally Fixes An Awkward, 11 Year Old Linux Bug

It's taken more than a decade, but after enough user complaints, there is finally a patch queued for Firefox 57 to fix an arguably annoying default behavior of Firefox on Linux/Unix systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I held out on Firefox for probably many more years than I should have.. was an advocate for Firefox over chrome/chromium pretty hardcore.

I finally decided to try chromium a couple of months ago, I expected to HATE it, but I haven't looked back. It's faster and my add-ons work better. Mozilla needs to get their stuff together.

Comment

For me, middle click on the page always opened autoscrolling (with circle cursor appearing, and scrolling happening by moving the mouse up and down). So I didn't even know there was such bug. Middle click on the link on the other hand, opens that link in a new tab. I find it very useful.

UPDATE: I just tested, and Firefox indeed pastes text if you do middle click in a text area (it does it in addition to enabling autoscrolling there). That's quite messy.

Chromium? No, thanks.
      Last edited by shmerl; 05 September 2017, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        For me, middle click on the page always opened autoscrolling (with circle cursor appearing, and scrolling happening by moving the mouse up and down). So I didn't even know there was such bug. Middle click on the link on the other hand, opens that link in a new tab. I find it very useful.
        Then you have manually disabled this feature by activating 'automatic scrolling'. A new installation will not behave like that.

UPDATE: I just tested, and Firefox indeed pastes text if you do middle click in a text area (it does it in addition to enabling autoscrolling there). That's quite messy.
        That's how it should behave.

I don't know if you are aware, but middle click is like a second clipboard on Linux.
        Last edited by Sn3ipen; 05 September 2017, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EKRboi View Post
          I held out on Firefox for probably many more years than I should have.. was an advocate for Firefox over chrome/chromium pretty hardcore.

I finally decided to try chromium a couple of months ago, I expected to HATE it, but I haven't looked back. It's faster and my add-ons work better. Mozilla needs to get their stuff together.
          Lol, years of planning is finally coming together in release 57. Hopefully it is worth the wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Sn3ipen View Post
            I don't know if you are aware, but middle click is like a second clipboard on Linux.
            I use it in the terminal, but not really anywhere else.

Comment

This is a carry over feature from the days of Netscape. I can see how it would be pretty confusing to someone that wasn't aware how it worked. It's especially a problem if you are middle-click pasting into a form or something and miss, suddenly browsing away if the location was a url.

Comment

"I held out on Firefox for probably many more years than I should have.. was an advocate for Firefox over chrome/chromium pretty hardcore.

I finally decided to try chromium a couple of months ago, I expected to HATE it, but I haven't looked back. It's faster and my add-ons work better. Mozilla needs to get their stuff together."

Kinda bad timing being a Firefox advocate and switching just when Firefox is finally becomes faster then Chromium since the addition of Electrolysis...

Comment

"I held out on Firefox for probably many more years than I should have.. was an advocate for Firefox over chrome/chromium pretty hardcore.

I finally decided to try chromium a couple of months ago, I expected to HATE it, but I haven't looked back. It's faster and my add-ons work better. Mozilla needs to get their stuff together."

Kinda a kick in the ass being a former Firefox advocate, deciding to switch to Chromium just as Firefox becomes faster than Chromium since they introduced Electrolysis...

Comment

NateHubbard Yeah, recently i had same reaction as one of the commenters in bug report:

'Me like: "What da heck?"'

Since I do not use Firefox that often, it happened only few times to me, but still.

Comment

Working...
                    X