Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 61 Brings WebUSB, JavaScript Modules & More

Phoronix: Chrome 61 Brings WebUSB, JavaScript Modules & More

Google has pushed Chrome 61 into the stable channel today as the latest release of their cross-platform web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

a new Payment Request API for the desktop, the Web Share API for easily sharing content on social networks, and WebUSB support. WebUSB is the new API for exposing USB devices in a "safe and secure" manner for JavaScript web applications.
    More payment features plus social network sharing features at the same time that the browser is exposing USB devices more directly to JavaScript web apps.

What could possibly go wrong??

No thank you Google.

Comment

where did the speed race go?? it's been quite a while since i've saw speed improvement. Octane is depreciated. Why no one says anything about it?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

More payment features plus social network sharing features at the same time that the browser is exposing USB devices more directly to JavaScript web apps.

What could possibly go wrong??

No thank you Google.
        do you know that browser already exposes to javascript usb keyboards and mices?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          do you know that browser already exposes to javascript usb keyboards and mices?
          at the same time that the browser is exposing USB devices more directly to JavaScript web apps
          Emphasis mine.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
            at the same time that the browser is exposing USB devices more directly to JavaScript web apps

.. to devices that you explicitly grant access to that are designed to talk to websites whitelisted by the manufacturer

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
              Emphasis mine.
              ok, now go ahead and explain your emphasis, what did you imagine?

Comment

Originally posted by mmmbop View Post

.. to devices that you explicitly grant access to that are designed to talk to websites whitelisted by the manufacturer

https://developers.google.com/web/up...y_and_security
                Yeah because IoT manufacturers are so diligent and trustworthy about security. Nothing could possibly go wrong with whitelisted websites.

Comment

WebUSB is the new API for exposing USB devices in a "safe and secure" manner for JavaScript web applications.

lol! Google is evil. If you believe their bizarro-world motto with your eyes closed and fingers in your ears then good for you.

I want to make a prediction. They want to sniff through all your usb devices because, google. They can't add code to do that because people would rightfully say "hey, what in hell is this?" so instead they give it some dumb web 2.0 name like WebUSB. There will be a version released with a "bug" that will get fixed say a few days to a week after it's discovered, which is usually pretty quick. And of course it will be sending back everything they found only to google owned servers because, google, and if it was openly exploited in the wild that might be an actual problem they can't PR their way out of. People will be pissy, the idiot-apologists will be out in force and the EFF will write some long cookie cutter warning about the direction we're going etc etc.

I can't wait to dig this up in say hummm, lets say 40 days from now. Don't bother telling me I'm wrong, it's a prediction of future events, make your own.

Comment

I'm excited to see the first native jasm OS boot from a liveUSB in a browser lol

I'll make a bet that Fabrice Bellard will be the first to do it, but it will boot an emulator shim that runs x86 or ARM OS, lol, but still I get he's the first to make a bootable OS image for jasm/browser as a hardware architecture.
                    Last edited by linuxgeex; 06 September 2017, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X