PulseAudio 11.0 Released With GNU Hurd Support, Newer Apple AirPlay Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Some distributions (ubuntu) made it default before it was decently stable.
    Then there is the fact that it exposed more how ALSA drivers were crap since it poked at them differently than what normal applications did (and this required rounds of fixes or workarounds), and the fact that it has/had default configs different from ALSA (per-application volume control instead of master)
    That is a bit problematic with browsers as it easily becomes hard to track which html5 player / flash plugin container handles the sound. The applications for managing volume are horrible. I usually just control the master volume instead withs multimedia keys mapped to master volume up/down. I can't even imagine how the software could guess which application volume to control.
    Last edited by caligula; 05 September 2017, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepec9124

It still is shit, not as shit as before, sure.

I can't remember the last time I had any audio glitch on Windows.
      It will be interesting to see whether pulseaudio will absorb jack/asio style functionality in the future. The poettering technology is good at spreading so maybe that'll be the next goal.

Comment

Is it still not working with shairport-sync or am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          That is a bit problematic with browsers as it easily becomes hard to track which html5 player / flash plugin container handles the sound.
          While watching youtube with html5 (Flash is disabled) I get a "Firefox:AudioStream" entry in the applications tab of the sound control KDE tray popup.

If I open another video, another entry like that appears.

Adjusting volume on the popup adjusts volume in the HTML5 player and vice versa.

Audio controls are sent to the player I'm looking at.

I can't even imagine how the software could guess which application volume to control.
          Firefox has PA integration. PA can't guess stuff, it's Firefox that tells it what is what for its own internal media streams.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Firefox has PA integration. PA can't guess stuff, it's Firefox that tells it what is what for its own internal media streams.
            I meant that the idea of per-application volume control breaks the functionality of these multimedia keys. Another problem with PA is that if you control the master sink volume with the volume keys, it goes past 100%, generating distortion. Traditional ALSA stops at 100%.

Comment

I meant that the idea of per-application volume control breaks the functionality of these multimedia keys.
              My multimedia keys still operate master volume.
              Really, PA's setup is similar to Windows (at least here in OpenSUSE KDE). You control master volume, and you can change volume to applications independently too if needed by opening the sound popup from tray.

I rarely if ever change per-application volume, as I only have 1 sound application running anyway, but I like having the ability to do so if needed.

Another problem with PA is that if you control the master sink volume with the volume keys, it goes past 100%, generating distortion. Traditional ALSA stops at 100%.
              This is an issue on your side perhaps, not a PA-specific issue.
              My laptop's media keys don't push volume past 100%, same as my desktop's multimedia keyboard (which apparently works under linux too).
              Again, speaking for OpenSUSE KDE Leap and Tumbleweed.

Comment

It is a pitty Hurd does not use IOKit drivers to at last conquer the world. Go Hurd, go.

Comment

I really wish that Jack could be as well integrated as Pulseaudio and easy to configure.

And I wish Pulseaudio would save my freaking settings. When I tell it what is default, it should keep it default!

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
                    GNU Hurd support? Oh noes! That's the kernel of choice for al-Qaeda sleeper cells!!

I wish Linus would implement a new kernel "feature" that makes all of Poettering's crap not work any more. He'll then have the freedom to choose to rewrite all his garbage from scratch, in compliance with the Unix philosophy, or just develop for Hurd from now on. Whichever he prefers, of course. We're all about freedom and choices here.
                    Wish what you like, but you are in for a disappoontment. I don't know if Linus cares for PA but he is on record saying that he likes systemd. He also doesn't think much of the Unix so-called "philosophy".

Comment

The 2 second latency for Airplay sounds quite long. Is there any other reason for that other than WiFi dropping packets? FWIW, I think people often play audio in the same room where the device is located. So the distance cannot be that long, which means that WiFi reception must be good, which kind of defeats the point of having huge buffers. Disclaimer: I don't understand this domain that well. Just thinking that latencies between different countries via ADSL is lower than 2 seconds. So why this sound streaming needs to be that slow?
                      I have no idea why in this particular case. But generally speaking audio latency is due to stupid post processing. Using CPU time for things that take too long.

Comment

Working...
                      X