No announcement yet.

PulseAudio 11.0 Released With GNU Hurd Support, Newer Apple AirPlay Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another great release, I'll test on Archlinux when it lands how it works with my AppleTV

Comment

Audio support / configuration / interface is if not the biggest weakness of Linux. Anything to do with audio is usually a PITA. Had to find strange tools and workarounds for a simple jack remap or workaround compatibility issues with audio specific software. Not to say strange issues when trying to chose a simple default device or make sure a conference webpage uses the right microphone. Hope things get better, issues change a little bit depending on which distro or desktop environment I use (due to the sound setup tool they come with)

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
        GNU Hurd support? Oh noes! That's the kernel of choice for al-Qaeda sleeper cells!!

I wish Linus would implement a new kernel "feature" that makes all of Poettering's crap not work any more. He'll then have the freedom to choose to rewrite all his garbage from scratch, in compliance with the Unix philosophy, or just develop for Hurd from now on. Whichever he prefers, of course. We're all about freedom and choices here.
        go ahead and use BSD or Hurd then, really not even Linus care anymore at this point, pulseaudio won, systemd won accept it and move on nobody cares anymore, if you don't don't like it you are free to choose something else so stop trying to impose your distorted interpretation of what UNIX philosophy means on everybody else, no one is putting a gun in your head to use it.

And for the last time Linux is not Unix, never intended to be Unix to start with and never will be Unix, Linux took the good ideas that mattered in this century from Unix and moved on and so should you. If Unix is that important to you then you have great Unixes around like FreeBSD, DragonFlyBSD, OpenIndiana(not sure if it will survive long tho), etc. hell even BeOS is making a comeback if current BSDs are too liberal for you

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
          He'll then have the freedom to choose to rewrite all his garbage from scratch, in compliance with the Unix philosophy
          What do you mean by that?

I think I managed to understand the reason for the hate directed at systemd, as I already had to deal with some of it's useless vomit and inaccessibility already.
          But so far I have not managed to grasp what's wrong with PulseAudio... why all the hate?
          I can only speculate that it was mostly the "change for change's sake"-aspect of PulseAudio that annoyed most people.

I started using linux in the fall of 2012 (Ubuntu 12.04), and by the time I understood words like "systemd", the predecessors of these systems were already cold in their graves. This means that I only had to deal with systemd as an init solution, so I have no real ground for comparisons between these much hated new system components and their predecessors.
          Last edited by OneBitUser; 05 September 2017, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Hope my distro would update to this

Comment

Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post
              I started using linux in the fall of 2012 (Ubuntu 12.04), and by the time I understood words like "systemd", the predecessors of these systems were already cold in their graves. This means that I only had to deal with systemd as an init solution, so I have no real ground for comparisons between these much hated new system components and their predecessors.
              basically sysV method where 1 serial process to execute bash like scripts to start processes which basically had 1 version per distro(not a joke) that regularly were located in the different paths on every distro(again not a joke) with 10+ like clones available trying to parallelize it in some way or another that again you would never find in more than 1 distro(seriously not a joke) at a time. Eventually canonical developed upstart that was more programatic and parallel but had some design issues and was ubuntu only and then systemd came along and is good enough to the point it made possible what in 30 years of tries no one could, become a standard and offer modern functionality regardless the distro.

The main hate around it is many of the old guard users that loved dealing with those scripts because they consider it more KISS or Unixy and after 5 years can't seem to understand the concept of 1 GIT repo doesn't mean 1 giant executable or stuff like CMAKE, etc.

Others basically hate lennart for some reason and will hate anything lennart codes even before is actually published or coded(yeah is irrational), the dude could cure cancer and VIH the same day and those guy will prefer to die than use it because lennart made it.

Those 2 groups are basically the 50 or so very vocal trolls that spend their days in every forum possible bashing systemd, pulse, lennart, etc.

Of course there is a 3rd group of people that had actual issues with systemd/pulse here or there, reported them and got(or will) get fixed if(when) possible, for example journald don't like BTRFS at all and some issues with rm -rf /(that has always worked on linux since ever) which is waiting for a proper fix kernel side(I think some barrier were set user space side) and minor stuff like that

Comment

What do you mean by that?

I think I managed to understand the reason for the hate directed at systemd, as I already had to deal with some of it's useless vomit and inaccessibility already.
                But so far I have not managed to grasp what's wrong with PulseAudio... why all the hate?
                I can only speculate that it was mostly the "change for change's sake"-aspect of PulseAudio that annoyed most people.

PA used (that's the keyword) to be a mess: latencies, garbled output, not working at all, etc. during its early days.

haters gonna hate...

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

PA used (that's the keyword) to be a mess: latencies, garbled output, not working at all, etc. during its early days.

haters gonna hate...
                  The 2 second latency for Airplay sounds quite long. Is there any other reason for that other than WiFi dropping packets? FWIW, I think people often play audio in the same room where the device is located. So the distance cannot be that long, which means that WiFi reception must be good, which kind of defeats the point of having huge buffers. Disclaimer: I don't understand this domain that well. Just thinking that latencies between different countries via ADSL is lower than 2 seconds. So why this sound streaming needs to be that slow?

Comment

PA normaly works great in laptops with ubuntu distros, for years I don't have problems, it simply work

Comment

Some distributions (ubuntu) made it default before it was decently stable.
                      Then there is the fact that it exposed more how ALSA drivers were crap since it poked at them differently than what normal applications did (and this required rounds of fixes or workarounds), and the fact that it has/had default configs different from ALSA (per-application volume control instead of master) that forced most applications to adapt to this (default behaviour for ALSA applications was to set volume at max on start) and again people whined about nazism and stuff.

Plus of course the standard "I always did it like this I don't want it to change" crowd.

Comment

Working...
                      X