No announcement yet.

PulseAudio 11.0 Released With GNU Hurd Support, Newer Apple AirPlay Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PulseAudio 11.0 Released With GNU Hurd Support, Newer Apple AirPlay Hardware

Phoronix: PulseAudio 11.0 Released With GNU Hurd Support, Newer Apple AirPlay Hardware

PulseAudio 11.0 is now available as the latest feature release of this widely-used, cross-platform sound server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good thing the DualShock 4's audio isn't really working or else that would leave a bunch of people feeling pretty confused.

Also - in before the haters of PA, Poettering, Hurd, and Apple (wow, sure are a lot of polarizing subjects in this article).

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
      GNU Hurd support? Oh noes! That's the kernel of choice for al-Qaeda sleeper cells!!

I wish Linus would implement a new kernel "feature" that makes all of Poettering's crap not work any more. He'll then have the freedom to choose to rewrite all his garbage from scratch, in compliance with the Unix philosophy, or just develop for Hurd from now on. Whichever he prefers, of course. We're all about freedom and choices here.
      yawn...

Comment

> PulseAudio 11.0 also adds support for newer AirPlay hardware

Anyone want to extend on what this means? Is it built-in that pulseaudio finds airplay servers and add them as sinks so you can select them as an pulse output?

Comment

**Watches grass grow**

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

Anyone want to extend on what this means? Is it built-in that pulseaudio finds airplay servers and add them as sinks so you can select them as an pulse output?
            Basically yes, queries them through Avahi. IIRC this was previously (still is?) provided by a separate plugin called pulseaudio-module-raop (and there was another one, pulseaudio-module-raop2 for AirPlay 2 devices).

Comment

That's how I read it as well: it can now direct sound to devices which conform to the newer AirPlay protocol ("raop2").

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                Basically yes, queries them through Avahi. IIRC this was previously (still is?) provided by a separate plugin called pulseaudio-module-raop (and there was another one, pulseaudio-module-raop2 for AirPlay 2 devices).
                That's an awesome feature, I'm sure it is going to be highly appreciated.
                I am currently using pulseaudio-dlna for sending audio to my chromecast, sadly the delay is multiple seconds so it can become quite annoying at times.
                I hope something similar but without the delay could become upstream in pulseaudio within a couple of years.

Comment

That's an awesome feature, I'm sure it is going to be highly appreciated.
                  I am currently using pulseaudio-dlna for sending audio to my chromecast, sadly the delay is multiple seconds so it can become quite annoying at times.
                  I hope something similar but without the delay could become upstream in pulseaudio within a couple of years.
                  I've been using the development version (thank you Hajime Fujita) of the RAOP2 for several years with my Logitech UE Air Speakers with considerable success. There is a built-in lag (thank Apple for this - its a design "feature") of two seconds, so don't panic when you hit play and nothing happens ... for two seconds, which is just enough time to crank the volume dial too high and annoy the neighbours.

Also - check the volume in pavucontrol before you start (see above for annoying the neighbours). It defaults to 100% volume on my device with a fresh install.

Comment

Bluetooth device improvements!!! This is a miracle. Hope this does not require any changes in software which are using it so all of these will be available by only updating pulseaudio

Comment

Working...
                    X