X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Shiba View Post
    So a KDE stripped down to the same functionality as Fluxbox boots as fast as a full GNOME environment?
    Tumbleweed's KDE is not stripped down, it's Ubuntu's KDE that is configured like total crap.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    Nope. That is just Akonadi removed. But I hear that XFCE still has more functionality and customization than a "full GNOME environment" while consuming half the RAM....
    afaik XFCE uses like 100 MB less than KDE at most.
    If you really want low RAM usage you need to use LXDE or Enlightenment.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    I haven't tried KDE on openSUSE for quite awhile because of the general slowness. Looks like I should try it out again.

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    My installs of Kubuntu shows about 700 MB of RAM, not sure why Michael's install got more than 1GB.

Leave a comment:

• cen1
    replied
    A distro which ships KDE by default vs an Ubuntu derivative.. color me NOT surprised at all.

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    Originally posted by Shiba View Post
    So a KDE stripped down to the same functionality as Fluxbox boots as fast as a full GNOME environment?
    Nope. That is just Akonadi removed. But I hear that XFCE still has more functionality and customization than a "full GNOME environment" while consuming half the RAM....

Leave a comment:

• zoomblab
    replied
    @Micheal
    As I said in the other article. Kubuntu 17.04 is just as lean in all my machines! The problem maybe has to do with your uninstall/install procedure on plain Ubuntu (it is infected with the Gnome virus ;-)).
    Last edited by zoomblab; 01 September 2017, 05:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FishPls
    replied
    I suppose this explains the worse-than-expected budgie numbers too. Wth is Canonical doing with Ubuntu?

Leave a comment:

• Shiba
    replied

Leave a comment:

• zoner
    replied
    Michael, please test KDE Neon, stable branch. It is the most stable implementation of KDE Plasma by the folks who developed it. Even on a live DVD it is fast. Also, for a general implementation, please test KDE Plasma as implemented by Manjaro. KDE is not the old KDE. And as I have said, the old Akonadi based PIM will soon go away. The new PIM is called KUBE. It has elimated over 75 dependices sp. Everything is being rewritten, not just updated. A discussion by one of the developers can be found on Planet KDE.

And thank you again, Michael, for this great site. It is so kool to see your work cited in more and more other sites.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X