Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Leaner Experience On openSUSE Tumbleweed vs. Ubuntu 17.04

Phoronix: KDE's Leaner Experience On openSUSE Tumbleweed vs. Ubuntu 17.04

With the Power Use, RAM + Boot Times With Unity, Xfce, GNOME, LXDE, Budgie and KDE Plasma tests this week, many expressed frustration over the heavy KDE packaging on Ubuntu leading to the inflated results for the Plasma 5 desktop tests. For some additional reference, here is how KDE Plasma (and GNOME Shell) compare when running on Ubuntu 17.04 vs. openSUSE Tumbleweed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Makes much more sense, that matches all my TW/KDE installs. Folks who manage KDE software on TW/openSuse are doing a great job. Thx for the update.

Comment

Michael thanks for the new test.

Now we have clear proof that Ubuntu is doing something VERY wrong in there. From 3-ish seconds to 22 on a SSD is a BIG fat difference.

Same as for RAM usage, which is now half that of GNOME (and nearly 1/3 of KDE ram usage in Ubuntu), as it should be.

All hail Tumbleweed, as usual.
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 01 September 2017, 01:50 PM.

Comment

What's interesting to note is that KDE now has exactly the same start-up time as GNOME.

Is everything done under X?

Comment

I found Ubuntu's Budgie packaging to also be subpar. It's buggy and much more resource heavy than it should be.

Comment

So the problem is ubuntu+Kde?

Comment

Michael, please test KDE Neon, stable branch. It is the most stable implementation of KDE Plasma by the folks who developed it. Even on a live DVD it is fast. Also, for a general implementation, please test KDE Plasma as implemented by Manjaro. KDE is not the old KDE. And as I have said, the old Akonadi based PIM will soon go away. The new PIM is called KUBE. It has elimated over 75 dependices sp. Everything is being rewritten, not just updated. A discussion by one of the developers can be found on Planet KDE.

And thank you again, Michael, for this great site. It is so kool to see your work cited in more and more other sites.

Comment

So a KDE stripped down to the same functionality as Fluxbox boots as fast as a full GNOME environment?

Comment

I suppose this explains the worse-than-expected budgie numbers too. Wth is Canonical doing with Ubuntu?

Comment

@Micheal
                    As I said in the other article. Kubuntu 17.04 is just as lean in all my machines! The problem maybe has to do with your uninstall/install procedure on plain Ubuntu (it is infected with the Gnome virus ;-)).
                    Last edited by zoomblab; 01 September 2017, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X