KDE's Leaner Experience On openSUSE Tumbleweed vs. Ubuntu 17.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
    So a KDE stripped down to the same functionality as Fluxbox boots as fast as a full GNOME environment?
    Nope. That is just Akonadi removed. But I hear that XFCE still has more functionality and customization than a "full GNOME environment" while consuming half the RAM....

Comment

A distro which ships KDE by default vs an Ubuntu derivative.. color me NOT surprised at all.

Comment

My installs of Kubuntu shows about 700 MB of RAM, not sure why Michael's install got more than 1GB.

Comment

I haven't tried KDE on openSUSE for quite awhile because of the general slowness. Looks like I should try it out again.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            Nope. That is just Akonadi removed. But I hear that XFCE still has more functionality and customization than a "full GNOME environment" while consuming half the RAM....
            afaik XFCE uses like 100 MB less than KDE at most.
            If you really want low RAM usage you need to use LXDE or Enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
              So a KDE stripped down to the same functionality as Fluxbox boots as fast as a full GNOME environment?
              Tumbleweed's KDE is not stripped down, it's Ubuntu's KDE that is configured like total crap.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                My installs of Kubuntu shows about 700 MB of RAM, not sure why Michael's install got more than 1GB.
                It seems he is using Ubuntu + KDE, not Kubuntu.

Comment

Thank you for these tests that confirm my impressions!
                  I'm a big estimator of Ubuntu, but they do not do a good job with Kde, that's obvious!

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    afaik XFCE uses like 100 MB less than KDE at most.
                    If you really want low RAM usage you need to use LXDE or Enlightenment.
                    Is more than that. The last test I did with the flavors of Ubuntu 16.04, XFCE lost to LXDE by 30MB or so. KDE Neon manages to trim about 50MB of Kubuntu without Akonadi stuff (it dips below 400 MB). But still consumes more than 100 MB over XFCE.

But really, this is all *i*k measurement. You will really care about a hundred megabytes here or there if you are stuck on a machine with 2GB. With 4GB and beyond nobody really cares, except for a few freaks.

Comment

Indeed my values as well!!! My TW+KDE is always around 400Mb. Sometimes goes down to 300's, sometimes goes up to near 500's. but never more.

However, i have to say that once in a while i do make a few jobs that are a bit more heavier...

For a really lite system i use Leap+Lxqt

Comment

Working...
                      X