X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leipero
    replied
    Originally posted by useless View Post

EDIT: By the way: VM uses less RAM than actual machine? How's that?

Here:
    Well, that was my speculation and I explained why that is the case for me, still, since I did not test that specifically, I accept that might not be the case, it could be other reason than services, it could be that system uses more RAM if more is available, and I usually give VM's ~4GiB, while there's more on real hardware, another speculation I did not tested.

Yeah, using "free -m" when doing comparison, those are results I've got earlier and wrote on main article thread.

So, Kubuntu 17.04 results for "free -m" after fresh boot and wait time of 4 minutes are:
    total=3949, used=402, free=2819, shared=7, buff/cache=727, available=3321

Results for Ubuntu GNOME 17.04 under same conditions as above (same wait period):
    total=3949, used=697, free=2727, shared=8, buff/cache=524, available=3029

Leave a comment:

• useless
    replied
    And here:

Leave a comment:

• useless
    replied
    Originally posted by leipero View Post

VM uses less RAM than actuall machine, at least for me..., but I use smb services etc., so maybe that's why, but I suspect it is because VM have less RAM than actual machine, just a speculation. Also, proper methodology is not to use "subjective tools" to measure free, used, buffered etc. RAM, the only valid method is to use "free -m" command in my opinion, repeat the test and see by yourself what the actual usage is.
    EDIT: By the way: VM uses less RAM than actual machine? How's that?

Here:
    Post with 1 views. Plasma KDE memory usage in Ubuntu
    Last edited by useless; 01 September 2017, 09:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• vsteel
    replied
    Michael
    Maybe you could do this with Neon and Kubuntu and compare the results with these. I know Kubuntu is at the mercy of Ubuntu for a lot of their packaging but I would like to see if there is a difference vs Ubuntu + KDE.

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    Originally posted by Shiba View Post

If a minimal KDE is your idea of a "full desktop environment", I have no doubt you really believe Xfce is as well. Well, next time you need a PIM or a metadata indexed filesystem on your reduced environment, you could always... dunno, drag your panel around the screen... maybe it will serve some purpose.

Removing Akonadi equates a minimal install of KDE...

Oh the irony of a Gnome user talking about reduced functionality in KDE...

Leave a comment:

• leipero
    replied
    Originally posted by useless View Post

I've set another VM with Ubuntu in it. Installed plasma-desktop, gnome-shell and ubuntu-gnome-desktop, just... because. Didn't remove any DE, always rebooted before switching session. Here is what I found:

KDE Plasma uses ~ 480 MiB
    GNOME desktop uses ~ 700 MiB.

In Plasma session there are a couple of GNOME related process (Tracker, GOA, gnome keyring, etc), still, never over ~ 500 MiB of RAM.
    In GNOME session, only kwallet seems to be running (6 MiB), still, never over 800 MiB.

So, again, what's up with that PTS result?
    VM uses less RAM than actuall machine, at least for me..., but I use smb services etc., so maybe that's why, but I suspect it is because VM have less RAM than actual machine, just a speculation. Also, proper methodology is not to use "subjective tools" to measure free, used, buffered etc. RAM, the only valid method is to use "free -m" command in my opinion, repeat the test and see by yourself what the actual usage is.

Leave a comment:

• leipero
    replied
    Michael, please use "free -m" next time, I mean, you can even automatize the process with it, so it can output in "x time" and you can log it automatically (I did not look how you measured) and calculate avg automatically, plus it will give "more complete" picture on free memory, buffered etc.

Leave a comment:

• smartalgorithm
    replied
    as a opensuse tumbleweed + kde plasma user i'm signing under every single test result here haha thanks for these tests.

Leave a comment:

• useless
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    -useless user posted screenshots of a Ubuntu VM with KDE and again it was using 450 MB of RAM or something like that.
    I've set another VM with Ubuntu in it. Installed plasma-desktop, gnome-shell and ubuntu-gnome-desktop, just... because. Didn't remove any DE, always rebooted before switching session. Here is what I found:

KDE Plasma uses ~ 480 MiB
    GNOME desktop uses ~ 700 MiB.

In Plasma session there are a couple of GNOME related process (Tracker, GOA, gnome keyring, etc), still, never over ~ 500 MiB of RAM.
    In GNOME session, only kwallet seems to be running (6 MiB), still, never over 800 MiB.

So, again, what's up with that PTS result?

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    Michael test Neon kde so to verify some kind of improvements. thanks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X