No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 17.10 "Artful Aardvark" Beta Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The more I learn of other distros the more attached I get to Arch. Trying Fedora, Debian and the like they just seems so heavy compared to Arch where everything seems to work out of the box. I know is a strange way of saying things but installing the base system is always the least time consuming thing. I haven't tried OpenSuse where tumbleweed is probably most comparable to Arch more than Fedora or Manjaro anyway but on a home system I really can't see my self with 17 partitions or so that's just odd when you're not in need of enterprise.

Comment

Off topic i still dont get why debian 9 shows up so hogh in benchmarks. whats so special about it. that it even nails fedora

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I am using Ubuntu 17.10 daily on my Intel Haswell desktop system.

Why is DRI2 used instead of DRI3?
        DRI3 is buggy for some hardware. Using DRI2 by default is a good choice.

Comment

Maybe I'm saying something dumb, but isn't OpenGL "compat" profile for legacy stuff? And there was some drama a decade ago about OpenGL 3.0 merely deprecating the old extensions not removing them. Then OpenGL separated into "core" (normal stuff) and compat, the old ways. So complaining about only version 3.0 for a profile meant to run old software (or perhaps software still maintained and on the legacy pipeline, or software that doesn't want to require DX10/DX11 etc. harware) would not be meaningful.

Comment

Originally posted by srakitnican View Post

DRI3 is buggy for some hardware. Using DRI2 by default is a good choice.
            So is DRI2 default for everyone?
            Would be nice with DRI2 for some hardware and DRI3 for some hardware.
            Is DRI3 buggy on Intel?
            Can DRI3 be enabled for Wayland?
            Because now DRI2 is used for Wayland.

Comment

Does the BETA already ship Wayland by default?

Comment

ok... it maybe the most stupid question of the day- but where are links to the ubuntu isos? not kubuntu, not xubuntu or any other flavour but to the "normal" ubuntu (with gnome now)? I cannot seem to find them o_O

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

So is DRI2 default for everyone?
                  Would be nice with DRI2 for some hardware and DRI3 for some hardware.
                  Is DRI3 buggy on Intel?
                  Can DRI3 be enabled for Wayland?
                  Because now DRI2 is used for Wayland.
                  Ubuntu prefers stability, that's understandable. You can easily switch between DRI versions via config.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
                    ok... it maybe the most stupid question of the day- but where are links to the ubuntu isos? not kubuntu, not xubuntu or any other flavour but to the "normal" ubuntu (with gnome now)? I cannot seem to find them o_O

Comment

thanks.
                      is there any reason why "standard" ubuntu isn't in beta stage?

Comment

Working...
                      X