SDDM 0.15 Qt Display Manager Adds Elogind Support, Themed Default Cursor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rootless Xorg will hopefully arrive with 0.16:
    QML based X11 and Wayland display manager. Contribute to sddm/sddm development by creating an account on GitHub.

I personally wouldn't recommend a DM without rootless Xorg when its only purpose is to enter username + password.

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
      > Hope they will start releasing new versions more often. 1 year was way too long!

why would you want your display manager to be updated that often ? Do you also complain of `cat` and `ls` not receiving updates ?
      I actually do. Those basic commands could be enhanced drastically. Including the common consent on basic terminal features. These things do need a overhaul.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

I actually do. Those basic commands could be enhanced drastically. Including the common consent on basic terminal features. These things do need a overhaul.
        For ls there is exa: https://the.exa.website/

Rust did a rewrite of coreutils that includes cat and ls as well, but not sure what more you're expecting of cat. https://github.com/uutils/coreutils

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          Rootless Xorg will hopefully arrive with 0.16:
          QML based X11 and Wayland display manager. Contribute to sddm/sddm development by creating an account on GitHub.

I personally wouldn't recommend a DM without rootless Xorg when its only purpose is to enter username + password.
          I'm also eagerly waiting for the keyboard support fix (mostly cosmetic).

Comment

Originally posted by antnythr View Post

I posted an issue about not being able to set XAUTHORITY to a value outside the users home directory a few days ago. I certainly hope it's not another year before the next update
            If you don't want to wait that long you (or your distro of choice) still can compile the latest git version it...

Comment

wayland will be replaced by xorg eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

That needs to switch root locale?
                No, I am just wondering why I never had that problem and most people probably don't. My guess is that most people are comfortable with the default 12h/24h format for their country, and their country usually goes into locale on install.

But, yeah: Switching locale for root or whatever account sddm runs in, would probably work, though a better option would be nice.

Comment

Working...
                X