No announcement yet.

Power Use, RAM + Boot Times With Unity, Xfce, GNOME, LXDE, Budgie & KDE Plasma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TW has the same issue Martin describes above. For every TW install I've done recently, when first installing the GNome DE and then installing the Plasma5 DE, I see a many of the GNome services running while I'm using Plasma. It works the other way too, meaning in GNome, you will see Plasma components running. I don't know about other distros and I don't know how Michael installed the DEs, but on TW, you have to manually remove the DE using zypper or Yast/Software Mgt and delete the components manually.

I literally just did this on the last TW update on a very, very old machine (2x250Gb WD blacks and a BE-5000+ with 3Gb RAM). I had to remove all the GNome stuff manually (control center, GOA stuff, etc.) and add locks to taboo the GNome stuff, and then when I get to the Plasma desktop, I'm sitting right there under 500MB.
    Last edited by Noee; 31 August 2017, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Oh, you clearly don't know how KDE works. Let me help you. KDE has extensive settings panels for the user to operate. This way the user can create a fully customised desktop without depending on external code that breaks left and right on any upstream code change, like extensions.

Adding that to GNOME so it can properly replace KDE isn't going to be easy.

Unity shared the same GNOME mindset, a relatively monolithic UI with limited customizability. KDE and most other DEs are different.
      Yup, you hit the nail on the head there. The customizations in GNOME appeared to be in response to the outcry that came from the introduction of GNOME3. Most of them aren't officially supported by the GNOME project and are subject to breakage whenever GNOME changes anything. I suppose it's better than nothing, but just from the implementation it's obvious it was added as an afterthought. It is well known that the philosophy of the GNOME project is simplicity over functionality - and it shows. So, as I mentioned previously it's no big surprise that something that does less uses less resources - but as others mentioned in my own experience, Plasma doesn't use the resources that the tests seem to imply - but then again, I'm using Fedora, not Ubuntu.
      Last edited by gbcox; 31 August 2017, 02:56 PM.

Comment

I run the latest of KDE with Plasma. It boots very quickly. I have used KDE for about 14 years, throught the good times and the not so good times. Plasma is great. I run on the latest distro of Manjaro. As for ram usuage, isn't this a dead horse yet. Most modern computers use 8 gigs of ram. If you are running a PC XT with 640 megabytes you have a problem with a modern distro. Akonadi and all of the crap that comes with it is not here for long. The new replacement is called 'Kube'. Kube has elimated over 75 pieces of bloat and is a new write up for a PIM. It uses QML and Qt for its parts. Soon it will be a complete more modern replacement for the current PIM. After testing of it, I will then nuke Thunderbird as well.

I do not know how Michael times these boot up tests but I only time them from the time I start my computer until I reach the login screen. If you want to see the future of KDE, check out KDE Neon. Download an iso, burn it, and try it out. It is the fastest I have seen for a Live DVD. You could almost run it as a basic system.

I wrote my first program in 1963, thousands more since. Still working and developing. Mostly I work with Qt. Once you grok object oriented programming and have a modern full featured editor, programs are very easy. Thank you Michael for this site. I check it out daily.

Comment

Originally posted by Noee View Post
          TW has the same issue Martin describes above. For every TW install I've done recently, when first installing the GNome DE and then installing the Plasma5 DE, I see a many of the GNome services running while I'm using Plasma. It works the other way too, meaning in GNome, you will see Plasma components running.
          Please report those as bugs! This should not be and can be easily fixed (we do take care of ensuring our services are only run on Plasma) with a single line of code.

Comment

Originally posted by mgraesslin View Post

Please report those as bugs! This should not be and can be easily fixed (we do take care of ensuring our services are only run on Plasma) with a single line of code.
            Wilco. I seem to recall Gnome being the bigger offender. This comes up on the factory ML every now and then, basically someone asks "how to completely remove a DE?", and the answer to this point is: "manually, more or less". But yes, that is different from your services looking specifically for PlasmaDE. I'll try a Plasma5 DE install on top of a Gnome in-place and see what shows up. I've got an old Llano laptop that needs some TLC and already has out-dated TW on it....

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
              Oh, you clearly don't know how a session works. Let me help you. Sessions define settings overrides and local extensions to be loaded. This way you can create a fully customised and QAed desktop without depending on external code.

That is how Ubuntu came up with a 80% Unity replacement for a 20% effort(a few months). kde could do it as well, and trim millions of LOCs.
              Except extensions are by their nature external code. They are also dependant on undocumented APIs with no guarantee of stability. Then your already imaginary QA truly goes out of the window.

Comment

Michael
                IMO something is wrong with this benchmark. I am using Kubuntu 17.04 on 3 machines and the memory usage in all these after boot is 0.5 GB. Also the last time I checked Ubuntu Gnome ate around a GB after boot.

Edit: Maybe installing KDE on Ubuntu is the reason. Next time please try Kubuntu.
                Last edited by zoomblab; 31 August 2017, 06:22 PM.

Comment

I was curious about KDE neon and installed it on a VM.

<400MB on boot. systemd-analyze counts 3 seconds boot but it does not seem to count the kde startup time, but it was below 5 seconds for sure.

Oh. And this was on a HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                    Michael
                    IMO something is wrong with this benchmark. I am using Kubuntu 17.04 on 3 machines and the memory usage in all these after boot is 0.5 GB. Also the last time I checked Ubuntu Gnome ate around a GB after boot.

Edit: Maybe installing KDE on Ubuntu is the reason. Next time please try Kubuntu.
                    Or Fedora...

Comment

• Originally posted by danielnez1 View Post

If you look at the top level repo, the LxQt components are actively developed:

https://github.com/lxde
                      Ah yes, sorry my fault. Looked into the wrong sub-repo. Well then, next time please LxQt.
                      What's the recommended window manager in LxQt?

Comment

Working...
                      X