Power Use, RAM + Boot Times With Unity, Xfce, GNOME, LXDE, Budgie & KDE Plasma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    As I've noted above, I had a very, very different experience between Kubuntu and installing KDE on top of Ubuntu.
    Of course, being so easily messed up during packaging isn't exactly a testament to KDE's resilience either.
    ???
    Where is it "easily messed up" again? Everyone else gets it right, someone in Ubuntu or their community is a noob (not the first time Ubuntu fucks up packaging of something), end of story.

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post
      Great article... would be interesting to see how LxQT stacks up...
      When I've tried GNOME it has been fairly responsive... too bad it's so hard to customize.
      LxQt seems pretty much dead , last commit was 4 months ago: https://github.com/lxde/lxqt

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        ???
        Where is it "easily messed up" again? Everyone else gets it right, someone in Ubuntu or their community is a noob (not the first time Ubuntu fucks up packaging of something), end of story.
        Well, this isn't an isolated incident, I ran into this like two years ago and the problem still persists. And like I posted above, Kubuntu using the packages from the same repo yields very different results.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          ???
          To be fair, Fedora people can be a PITA (not my words).

This is the blog post I was talking about: https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/bl...s-the-quality/

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Well, this isn't an isolated incident, I ran into this like two years ago and the problem still persists. And like I posted above, Kubuntu using the packages from the same repo yields very different results.
            For that matter, Ubuntu fucked up packaging of systemd and pulseaudio in the past too. I personally blame Ubuntu more than KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
              Gotta admit this is a bit funny. "Scramble to troll kde. Deny that this is just an unrelated packaging issue."
              fixed.

Comment

All other bigger Qt-based Linux projects have failed. So this is hardly a surprise.
                Ignoring KDE and Deepin, and also Budgie in the future.

Comment

posting useful content, so easy to get it wrong. TROLLING, so easy to get it right. Level of quality comes to mind. GhostOfFunkS sure did pick the right option, the only option.
                  fixed.

Comment

Gotta admit this is a bit funny. "Scramble to defend kde's honor. Deny that this is just a mess of unaudited code that will break one way or the other."
                    It's not mainly about that. I use KDE daily on four totally different computers (two desktop PCs and two laptops, all from different years) and I'm not seeing all this bloatware and slowness. The problem here is that this benchmark was conducted poorly in one way or another. Seriously, those boot times are hilariously long. For comparison: my father laptop with a rusty spinning drive takes almost 30 sec to boot (to desktop), with btrfs and KDE. Here I've SATA SSDs and some BLACK series WD disks, nowhere near the performance of that tested NVMe.

Maybe, some code lacks audition. So is the case with other software. The real issue here is the clickbait headline and the "take these numbers with a grain of salt, which are not representative but carry on reading".

EDIT: Ok, this guy is a troll. What a waste of writing.

Comment

kde, so easy to get it wrong. GNOME, so easy to get it right. Level of quality comes to mind. Ubuntu sure did pick the right DE, the only DE.
                      Oh goodie. Another poster of insightful comments. What would Phoronix do without these.
                      *facepalm*

Comment

Working...
                      X