Power Use, RAM + Boot Times With Unity, Xfce, GNOME, LXDE, Budgie & KDE Plasma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
    Yup it definitely depends on how the DE is preconfigured. I'm using KDE Neon which is a pretty spartan distro, and at start up it uses ~400mb of RAM with desktop effects and ~380 without.
    Me too. I havent tried kubuntu 17.04, but maybe there is some config issues in that release.

Comment

Something is very wrong with this benchmark. Just fired up a Virtualbox VM with a fresh Ubuntu 17.04 installation, ran
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop
      and there it is: 420MiB of RAM. Boot time: 12 sec. So, yeah, this seems a bit skewed.

I've a Fedora 26 KDE installation and 1GiB of RAM usage, but a lot of things startup automatically: four IMAP accounts, three google calendars agents, a couple of plasmoids, MEGA sync, NextCloud sync, Telegram client, and some other things I can't remember (akonadi and the Kontact suite takes a lot of RAM with its agents and SQL database).

Meanwhile, an openSUSE tumbleweed one with KDE consumes 440MiB of RAM (no mail accounts, a couple of plasmoids). Both systems only take less than 15 sec to boot with a Samsung EVO SSD.
      Last edited by useless; 31 August 2017, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Post with 1 views. Ubuntu KDE plasma memory usage

Comment

Results of the test summarized: People packaging KDE and Budgie in Ubuntu are morons.

Really, no, just no. On OpenSUSE I get 500 MB of total ram usage with KDE, how in the bloody hell can they inflate it like that?

EDIT: uhm, so the guy above this post shows that ubuntu kde is still in line with what I saw, so the test was done wrong here.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Results of the test summarized: People packaging KDE and Budgie in Ubuntu are morons.

Really, no, just no. On OpenSUSE I get 500 MB of total ram usage with KDE, how in the bloody hell can they inflate it like that?

EDIT: uhm, so the guy above this post shows that ubuntu kde is still in line with what I saw, so the test was done wrong here.
            As I've noted above, I had a very, very different experience between Kubuntu and installing KDE on top of Ubuntu.
            Of course, being so easily messed up during packaging isn't exactly a testament to KDE's resilience either.

Edit: Looking at my install right now (Kubuntu 17.04 with backports, no tuning):
            Startup finished in 2.660s (kernel) + 6.476s (userspace) = 9.137s
            and that's on an i7-3630QM - i.e. not a particularly powerful CPU.
            Last edited by bug77; 31 August 2017, 08:50 AM.

Comment

I'm can't be sure, but it seems GNOME makes a more aggressive use of RAM to speed things up, while KDE Plasma doesn't pull things to RAM unless it's immediately necessary - therefore pulling more stuff from disk.

Running GNOME Wayland - Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

As I've noted above, I had a very, very different experience between Kubuntu and installing KDE on top of Ubuntu.
                Of course, being so easily messed up during packaging isn't exactly a testament to KDE's resilience either.
                KDE resilience? If you do the packaging wrong, how is that a resilience issue? Kwin main developer blogged about it a couple of weeks from now: distros sometimes sucks at software packaging (read it, please). Don't blindly blame upstream code.
                Last edited by useless; 31 August 2017, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by useless View Post

KDE resilience? What? If you do the packaging wrong, how is that a resilience issue? Kwin main developer blogged about it a couple of weeks from now: distros sometimes sucks at software packaging (read it, please). Don't blindly blame upstream code.
                  Well, if it wasn't something KDE specific, incompetent packagers would screw up all DEs, wouldn't they?
                  I still like KDE better, but that doesn't mean I think it's perfect

Comment

Originally posted by useless View Post

KDE resilience? What? If you do the packaging wrong, how is that a resilience issue? Kwin main developer blogged about it a couple of weeks from now: distros sometimes sucks at software packaging (read it, please). Don't blindly blame upstream code.
                    This one, and the link in the first sentence? https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/bl...s-the-quality/

Boot time for me is delayed with halting to type the LUKS key but it's still under a minute on my not particularly modern hardware (it's the generation before AMD's Bulldozer) but RAM usage on boot is still under 1GB, even with a couple of additional things that start on boot. I believe I read somewhere that KDE will use a little more RAM if available, although not sure how true or applicable that is.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Well, if it wasn't something KDE specific, incompetent packagers would screw up all DEs, wouldn't they?
                      I still like KDE better, but that doesn't mean I think it's perfect
                      The thing is that KDE relies on Qt, which has its own release cycle, LTS support, and so on. But you're right: it ain't perfect.

Comment

Working...
                      X