Power Use, RAM + Boot Times With Unity, Xfce, GNOME, LXDE, Budgie & KDE Plasma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    KDE 5 is a freaking resource hog and the worst offender is Plasma. Ever since KDE4 was introduced KDE developers have stopped caring about speed, performance and optimizations. That's sad really because I used to love KDE, but now I'm using XFCE exclusively.
    It's not. It uses about twice less memory than Gnome on my PC. Gnome suffers from memory leaks. When they're fixed it will be great. When comes to boot time Gnome is indeed much faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepec9124 View Post
      My plasma takes 400 MB. I'd try GNOME with Fedora. It took 1.2 GB when I tried few months ago.
      Exactly same experience, but KDE takes 680MB. Fresh Gnome 1.2 GB and growing. There's something really bad with Phoronix benchmark. What's correct is startup time. KDE boots noticeably longer than Gnome.

Comment

I don't know what Ubuntu is doing within it's flavours but Kubuntu (if it was tested here) has some real issues (just look at the used memory).
        In my tests on Arch I have different results.
        In boot speed and memory consumption its (less its better):
        Xfce < KDE < Gnome < Gnome Wayland

I know Ubuntu is likely the most used distribution but it's also the worst to do these tests.
        It would be much better to use distribution which deliver a sane, clean and up-to-date configuration of each DE.

Also I would have liked to see Cinnamon too in this comparison.

Comment

No, I said that that is not what I am experiencing, not that I don't like it. I would love that Gnome boots fast and mouse and keyboard does not stutter, but that is not how it is unfortunately. Not talking about it will not make the issue go away.

Comment

I'm curious about KDE+Wayland result. What says Kde about this report?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              KDE 5 is a freaking resource hog and the worst offender is Plasma. Ever since KDE4 was introduced KDE developers have stopped caring about speed, performance and optimizations. That's sad really because I used to love KDE, but now I'm using XFCE exclusively.
              No, it isn't. Though from my experience installing KDE on top of Ubuntu is about as bad as it gets. When I did that (admittedly, a handful of times) I had the worst experience, including wrong colours and missing icons. Kubuntu is much better than that, but Neon is running circles around Kubuntu.

Bottom line, Neon shows how good KDE actually is, but it seems packagers can really screw it up. Unfortunately, this translates into wildly different experiences, depending on your distro of choice.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post

No this is a combined news and benchmark forum. Do you even know how time consuming a proper benchmark is? Then YOU show up and counter the hard work with anecdotal evidence because YOU don't like the conclusions. That's judt rude.
                No, I never said that I don't like it, I would love that Gnome boots fast and mouse and keyboard doesn't stutter, unfortunately this is not the reality. Not talking about it will not make the issue go away. I know that all issues that you don't like are anecdotal, but here is the link anyway if that means something to you. https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=745032

Comment

Michael a test with Linux Mint, both Cinnamon and Mate, would be awesome! Maybe also the debian edition of Mint.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post

Not ready for production use.
                    I wouldn't consider Gnome Wayland as ready for production use either but that is no reason to not test it.

Comment

To be fair, Gnome on Wayland is relatively stable, while KDE on Wayland was much more experimental.
                      Though I haven't tried KDE on the laptop I tried it on, under Arch and Gnome on Wayland I could bring it down to about 300MB on boot time... Which is lower than what Xfce shows under Ubuntu. Xfce on a tuned Arch consumed a bit less. And i3wm is the ultimate winner, but it's a tiling WM, so...

However I'd like to doubt a bit the results. Why would KDE increase the kernel boot time? Can you really trust the systemd-analyze results for the userspace time accross different DEs? Because if Xfce starts pretty fast I have never ever seen KDE need 20 seconds to start, on a *SSD*. Mine takes about 3 seconds...
                      Last edited by AsuMagic; 31 August 2017, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X