X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ResponseWriter
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    I know that it was an exaggeration, I was just pointing out that packaging issues are packaging issues, they not usually due to the software being "hard to package" per-se.
    There are packaging issues even when the packagers are told how to deal with the upgrade. See https://plus.google.com/+MartinGräßl...ts/AwRyS1Nw6GZ

Leave a comment:

• gbcox
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
    Ubuntu just proved how much you can customize with session support.
    Yeah, IMO it's a shame that GNOME made those design choices - simplification over usability. Which, if you think about could explain the Phoronix test results. If you don't do much, you don't use many resources.
    Last edited by gbcox; 31 August 2017, 02:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by srakitnican View Post
    Well if: "GNOME just happened to be developed by smart people that know how to make the best of systemd's features.", I expect it to be a no match for a window manager then as results of this benchmarks points out.
    Sorry but that's nonsense.

A window manager is just a window manager. A full DE has a window manager AND a bunch of other services and stuff running in the background or pre-loading on startup.

So a window manager will always blatantly smoke a full DE on startup times and RAM usage. By definition.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Watch your language. You missed the important part. If you can get 80% kde with 20% effort. Then it should be considered.
    Adding to GNOME all the customizability of KDE in a way that isn't broken on any GNOME minor version is not "20% effort", I'll tell you that.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Me neither! We are dealing with so much trolling and fanboism. It is very difficult to get right.
    fixed.

Why not skip kde and just do a heavily modified GNOME session like Ubuntu?
    Because extensions breakage is still a thing in GNOME land.

Leave a comment:

• gbcox
    replied
    Originally posted by theghost View Post

LxQt seems pretty much dead , last commit was 4 months ago: https://github.com/lxde/lxqt
    That seems to me to be a gross example of jumping to a conclusion. But, if you want to believe it... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Leave a comment:

• ArchFanatic
    replied
    I use kde plasma on arch now for more than year and im happier than ever with my linux system without returning back to try Windows again and again over like it happened with ubuntu.

Leave a comment:

• AsuMagic
    replied
    Me neither! They are dealing with so much breakage and regressions. It is very difficult to get right.

Question comes to mind. Why not skip kde and just do a heavily modified GNOME session like Ubuntu? If that solves 80% of the problems for 20% of the effort then they should consider it. Proper Wayland support even comes for free.
    Again you're a crappy troll. You ignored all messages that said it was **NOT** Kubuntu, including mine that was **2** messages after.
    Gnome wasn't anywhere smooth on my laptop. It was okay-ish in general but the application menu animation makes the whole thing lag for about 3 seconds. Even the mouse stutters like hell under Wayland when that happens.
    And I can confirm the KDE results on Ubuntu are far from what a good setup would give. I boot to about 500MB on my desktop with Arch.

Leave a comment:

• ArchFanatic
    replied
    My KDE Plasma eats only 382 MiB with Dolphin, Kate and System Monitor running and it is much smoother than gnome on both wayland and x11.
    Last edited by ArchFanatic; 31 August 2017, 12:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• srakitnican
    replied
    Originally posted by halo9en View Post

Gnome is a full Desktop Environment, Openbox is a Window Manager. You should compare Gnome to KDE, Xfce, Cinnamon, or Budgie.
    Well if: "GNOME just happened to be developed by smart people that know how to make the best of systemd's features.", I expect it to be a no match for a window manager then as results of this benchmarks points out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X