QupZilla Web Browser Becomes KDE Falkon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post

This is completely false, it's been a KF5 application since 16.12 - you even reported on it! https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ications-16.12

I do question my subscription when there's so little fact-checking or research; the KDevelop articles have been similarly bad.
    True, but David Faure who was porting Konqueror to work better and better with KF5 dropped it after I accidently introduced him to QupZilla.

Comment

Originally posted by sjukfan View Post
      Hopefully it won't drag in everything and the kitchen sink as dependencies.
      Unlikely. The whole point of KF5 is to be able to control your dependencies better, and the QupZilla developers don't want to add any hard KDE dependencies.

Comment

I believe it's a great name... was getting tired of all the *Zilla, Chrome*, *ium names. Also appears they gave a nod to Konqueror which was a nice touch. Don't know what people are talking about this being sad... it's great news... KDE is getting an updated browser and if nothing else it should increase the usage and visibility of the project. I fail to see any negative.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
          Exactly. It's the default browser used by Fedora's LXQt spin at the moment. I don't think it drags in half of KDE yet.
          A lot of work pioneered by KDE found its way into Qt5. If you have Qt5, like LXQt has, you already have that 'half of KDE'. And btw., LXQt is using KDE's kwindowsystem. This library is a great demonstration in how far the KDE community went in getting rid of the monolithic KDE base concept. They deliver their framework functionality in completely independent modules -- based on Qt5.

I don't think there is any reason to expect new 'bloat' or dependencies for Falkon from this move at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Zucca View Post
            The name QupZilla was a little misleading (for me at least) since the name applies that the rendering engine is gecko -based, while it's webkit -based in fact. Therefore I welcome the name change.
            It uses QtWebEngine now, so it's not a webkit-based browser anymore, but a Blink-based one.

Comment

Good for the name change, in my native language the "qup" part sounded very much like the word for "dung", which made it a very big effort to recommend this application to anyone. The "zilla" element also was making people connect it with Firefox, which some people dislike.

I just hope they will stay cross platform, KDE apps usually are problematic to get running outside of GNU/Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                I just hope they will stay cross platform, KDE apps usually are problematic to get running outside of GNU/Linux.
                Not at all, and kate,krita,umbrello,kdevelop on Windows/Mac are there to prove you wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Damodread View Post
                  It uses QtWebEngine now, so it's not a webkit-based browser anymore, but a Blink-based one.
                  True.
                  But I was referring to QupZilla not to QtWebEngine.
                  Last edited by Zucca; 31 August 2017, 03:53 AM. Reason: Typofix

Comment

qtwebengine is trash. even requires ruby now.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                      qtwebengine is trash. even requires ruby now.
                      Nope, that's QtWebkit you're confusing it with (requires ruby at build time).

Comment

Working...
                      X