GNOME Control Center Switches To Its New Settings Layout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
    comparison to trump is interesting indeed. especially with the broken cursor XD
    Ugh... more "fake media"... don't listen to him! X-D

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      fixed.

Really, this is a great UI for a touch device. The only issue is that most PCs don't have a touch screen.
      since when gnome3 is a tablet UI?
      have you ever, actually, use it there (instead of complaining about "tabletization")?

but ad rem: it looks nice. I have no problems with it.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
        Which genius did the categorization? At top wifi and Bluetooth, and somewhere in between network again, containing wifi and Bluetooth. And user under details?

SeemsGood...
        You shall not question your developer overlords.
        That order was determined after thousands of hours of analyzing people's usage, A/B testing and careful consideration of ergonomics. Or not.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
          since when gnome3 is a tablet UI?
          Since it started using bigass switches and buttons for settings (like Android/iOS) uses an "app drawer" with fucking large icons for everything (like Android/iOS app drawer), has a "most used app" bar on the left (just like Android, that has it on the bottom, still the "short" side of the screen) appears to force me to go through a "all windows" screen or a "window chooser" screen (similar to Android's "open apps" menu) instead of just showing open windows in the goddamn bar. This behaviour is there means more or less since it became GNOME 3.

I'll break them down the reasons why these choices make it a great touch UI, for the oblivious crowd:

-bigass switches and app drawers with fucking large icons are good in a touch UI because the screens are small and a finger is also much larger than a mouse pointer, and it would tap on a too large area if they were PC-sized. On a PC I have a goddamn laser mice that controls an arrow with a 1-pixel pointy end on a bigass screen, I don't see why I should waste space with switches and icons the size of my thumb.

-"all windows" and "window chooser" menus are again a mainstream of touchscreen stuff, because again they use small screens so usually multitasking happens by switching what app goes fullscreen, not by using windows. On a PC screen there is enough space to place the open windows at the bottom/top/lateral bar as usual.

have you ever, actually, use it there (instead of complaining about "tabletization")?
          Have you ever actually used some kind of Android or iOS device or have you been living in a cave using an old thinkpad?
          Because I'm not going to believe that anyone that used a smartphone/tablet can't draw parallels between the UIs when it is so obvious.

Anyway, I have a crappy mini laptop with touchscreen and GNOME the only UI I can use the touchscreen in without making massive changes (it's not like I can't customize KDE or xfce enough to have the above also there), GNOME also supports some gestures (gesture= swiping or caressing the screen in certain ways to have some actions happen).

EDIT: also Deepin has a good touch-friendly interface, that's pretty cool.

EDIT2: also, the current settings menu looks a lot like Android's (a list of entries, each opening fullscreen/fullwindow)
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 24 August 2017, 06:39 PM.

Comment

I am fan of the desktop environment X, therefore it is my duty to shxt post on any articles of desktop environment Y because I don't care for it, in fact I hate it for no real reason, so I have to hammer down my toally objective OPINION on things I really don't care about. This is my constructive contribution and probably my biggest acomplishment today. Concept of aesthetics doesn't exist in my dictonary. You are such a lovely audience...

That being said, I like the old one better (mainly because of icons), but it makes sense to make it the way it is now (for global aesthetics and functionality reasons), keep doing good job .

Comment

1. "look mommy, i made a GUI !"
              2. The Worst audio/soundtrack EVER
              "unappetitlich" my grandfather would say...

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                fixed.

I'm not misquoting, I highlight in bold the parts that I had to change.
                "Mindless fanboism" - are you fcukin kidding me? after all those endless mindless fanboy systemd tirades and tantrums you threw in here in the last 2-3 years ?

Comment

Meh, too much wasted space, the UI should adapt based on the interface, why do developers keep ramming this mobile UI down our throats?

Comment

Originally posted by mbohun View Post
                    "Mindless fanboism" - are you fcukin kidding me? after all those endless mindless fanboy systemd tirades and tantrums you threw in here in the last 2-3 years ?
                    Defending the truth with longish posts where you debunk bullshit isn't "mindless fanboism", you systemd-hater scum.

Comment

Originally posted by spstarr View Post
                      Meh, too much wasted space, the UI should adapt based on the interface, why do developers keep ramming this mobile UI down our throats?
                      Did you miss the big "GNOME" in the title? Not that KDE is taking polls before changing something, but at least they give you settings to change to your liking (or close to).

Comment

Working...
                      X