Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine-Staging 2.15 Adds More Direct3D 11 Patches, Other Improvements

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wine-Staging 2.15 Adds More Direct3D 11 Patches, Other Improvements

    Phoronix: Wine-Staging 2.15 Adds More Direct3D 11 Patches, Other Improvements

    Building off last weekend's Wine 2.15 development release is now a re-based Wine-Staging version that also includes some new testing/experimental patches...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...e-Staging-2.15

  • #2
    I had to leave wine staging 2 days ago and revert to regular wine, as suddenly none of my programs were working. I figured something big was brewing - this is good news.

    Comment


    • #3
      Acrobat Pro 8 is working fantastically under wine these days by the way.

      Comment


      • #4
        I know it's always about games somehow. Why they are not caring about directX 11 and 12 because everything supports 9 and then what works and what not as soon as they finally start doing it waaaayyyy too late.
        But I'd like to know: Does the latest office work? I sadly have to use it and I don't care about the installer. I want to run word and powerpoint and excel.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
          I know it's always about games somehow. Why they are not caring about directX 11 and 12 because everything supports 9 and then what works and what not as soon as they finally start doing it waaaayyyy too late.
          But I'd like to know: Does the latest office work? I sadly have to use it and I don't care about the installer. I want to run word and powerpoint and excel.
          I'd like to know this myself, and I can test it out for both of us.
          When you say "the latest office", do you mean Office 2016 or 2013?
          2016 is the latest and has been out for more than a year, but not many workplaces have transitioned to using it yet. My workplace for example just transitioned everybody from office 2010 to office 2013, so to most people office 2013 is "the new one".

          Comment


          • #6
            Test both.

            Comment


            • #7
              No offense but latest office clearly means the latest one ... like 2016 :-P

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by flubba86 View Post

                I'd like to know this myself, and I can test it out for both of us.
                When you say "the latest office", do you mean Office 2016 or 2013?
                2016 is the latest and has been out for more than a year, but not many workplaces have transitioned to using it yet. My workplace for example just transitioned everybody from office 2010 to office 2013, so to most people office 2013 is "the new one".
                I've been meaning to try Office 2010. I've got an old DVD laying around somewhere, once I locate it I'll give it a try and report some results.

                I'm really pleased with how absolutely everything is working great on Acrobat 8. I tried it a year or two ago, and it would install but crash repeatedly while trying to use it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                  No offense but latest office clearly means the latest one ... like 2016 :-P
                  No offence taken. I might have worded my response badly. I took "latest" to mean 2016, but was making sure, because there are people in my workplace right now who are convinced the latest office is 2013.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think the majority of people want Wine for games because for most productivity software, alternatives exist or work fine in VMs. Office 2016 apps appear to run at Bronze status on Wine, which obviously means very poorly and mostly broken. Probably best to just grab Virtualbox or VMware Player and install the Windows 10 ISO downloaded from Microsoft's website and run that in an inactivated state... everything basically works except personalization options and an occasional "Activate Windows" nag watermark.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X